Newcomer

Default What RD to get for a bike question

As the title says, not sure what RD to get for my motorcycle. I already have a V1 but don't want to get another for several reasons.

1. I cant stand the K band falsing, or i'll keep constantly having to look down at the RD
    2. don't see a point in the back/side arrow, since my body will be blocking it
    3. wanting something with GPS

Would the 9500ix be the best RD for bikes? or is there another RD that's up to par w/ the V1, but better for bikes?

edit: I planned on planting the RD in front of me, either above the gas tank or somehow stick it on the plastic screen, unless theres a better spot for it? any ideas or pics?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: What RD to get for a bike question

I have my V1 strapped to the top of the brake reservoir. It see forward laser through the front windshield.

Advanced Member

I use a Bel Rx65 or 9500i on my bike. Depends on my mood. I bought my radar detector mount from Radarbusters some time ago but they no longer sell them. It attaches to the top of the fork tube. Great product that is available in both aluminum and black finish. Good luck dude.
    Last edited by PMoth; 06-14-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

RadarBusters Associate

I used to use an 8500 x50 on my bike and it worked great. I also got my mount from radarbusters but like PMoth said we no longer sell them, but you can get a good mount from www.techmounts.com

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRadar View Post
    I used to use an 8500 x50 on my bike and it worked great. I also got my mount from radarbusters but like PMoth said we no longer sell them, but you can get a good mount from www.techmounts.com
    Yes awesome suggestion. I'll post a pic of it here on my bike in a few.
    Puma Power!!!

Newcomer

I wouldn't want to ride my bike 500 feet without my V1.

I've been experimenting with various mounting setups, none perfect to say the least. It has gone the better part of 9700 miles using, believe it or not, the OEM windshield suction cup mount. The angle is such that it gets a sort of over-my-right elbow look behind, which seems to be "good enough" and the mute button(s) (Remote Audio) are still handy..

This week I plan to install the RAM magnetic mounting plate and move the V1 to my handlebars, to improve rear view and be a bit more secure. The windshield mount finally gave me a scare about two weeks ago on a bumpy road -- not due to suction cup issues (they have never budged) -- when the mount worked its way up and out of the right suction cup and I almost lost the V1 overboard.

The RAM mount should also be easier to cover quickly with a child's shower cap when the weather calls for it.

The V1 has saved my bacon too many times to count. My "score" so far is nearly 10,000 miles of fun and zero (knock on wood) "performance certificates."

-dan

Power User

Since GPS is a must the 9500ix would be your best choice. There are specific bike RD's but nothing with GPS or the performance of the 9500ix comes to mind.

Radar Fanatic

Dan, already sen my V1 cart wheeling down the road in the rearview mirror. Not a fun sight to see.

Just make sure it's weather proof!

Newcomer

@Norm:

My old setup, using the OEM suction cup mount, had that potential for road acrobatics and was ruining my concentration as a result [g].

The new setup, using a RAM magnetic mounting plate with an old velcro/elastic ski strap as a safety tether, gives me lots more peace of mind. If it rains I throw a baggie or child's shower cap over it. If it really pours, the boys in blue tend to put away the radar and so do I [g], plus slow down.

-dan

Advanced Member

I still haven't posted those pics yet. I'm such a slacker...
    Puma Power!!!