View Poll Results: LEO and 2 wheel speeders?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I ride only moderately over PSL, never been stopped

2 66.67%
  • I ride only moderately over PSL, have been stopped.

0 0%
  • I ride like Death Wish 2000, never stopped

0 0%
  • I ride like Death Wish 2000, have been stopped

1 33.33%

Default LEO and the two-wheeled speeder

A thread on placement on an MC brought this question to mind.

First, my premise: I think LEO is generally more lenient on MC speeders, assuming they are not being reckless.

Such as doing 135 on I-4. Or "white-lining" outrageously during rush hour traffic.

I was trying to do this as a poll, but I seem to be getting tangled in my underwear a bit in so doing, but here's the gist, all of it strictly aimed at the 2 (or 3) wheeled rider:

1. I typically run a bit hot, maybe 10 or so over on Interstate, maybe play it out to a spurt of 3 digits or so on the rare occasion, and have never been stopped for speeding.

2. I typically run a bit hot, maybe 10 or so over on Interstate, maybe play it out to a spurt of 3 digits or so on the rare occasion, and HAVE been pulled over for speeding.

3. I ride like my first wife is after me, love the hum of a WOT engine, and have never been stopped for speeding.

4. I ride like my first wife is after me, love the hum of a WOT engine, and am a generous supporter of every township I ride through, having been stopped and fined many times.

I fortunately, knock on wood, am in category one.

And I have on several occasions blown past troopers on Interstates set up in capture mode doing 15 mph over, possibly more. And they have never so much as looked up from their donuts.

So I stated my premise.

My conclusion would be that RD equipment on a bike might be overkill, IF one isn't a flagrant scoff law, casting all caution to the wind.

What say you?

Ride safe,

CR
    PS...okay, figured out the poll thingy...
    Last edited by CeeAre; 02-27-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Newcomer

Default Re: LEO and the two-wheeled speeder

The poll needs a bit more info.

Are the questions directed at our riding throughout our life or just since we got a detector?

I generally ride no more than 5-10 over however, there are times, when I get out on the open road (Hwy. 50 across Nevada...advertised as the Lonliest Road In America) when I can get way, way over the posted limit.

The biggest thing the detector has done for me is constantly makes me aware when I am over and exactly how much I'm over......vs. seeing an LEO and immediatly thinking "damn, how fast am I going and what the hell is the speed limit, anyway" as I quickly glance at the speedometer. You guys know what I'm talking about....I wasn't alone in this.

Newcomer

Edit: Not sure how I ended up with a double post.
    Last edited by JCZ; 03-08-2015 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
    The poll needs a bit more info.

Are the questions directed at our riding throughout our life or just since we got a detector?

I generally ride no more than 5-10 over however, there are times, when I get out on the open road (Hwy. 50 across Nevada...advertised as the Lonliest Road In America) when I can get way, way over the posted limit.

The biggest thing the detector has done for me is constantly makes me aware when I am over and exactly how much I'm over......vs. seeing an LEO and immediatly thinking "damn, how fast am I going and what the hell is the speed limit, anyway" as I quickly glance at the speedometer. You guys know what I'm talking about....I wasn't alone in this.
    Well, it was actually aimed at on a bike, with NO CM's.

But your point is very well taken. That's the biggest thing I've noticed since adding RD to my car/cage...it has made me a safer, more aware driver. And of course, would perforce do the same on a scoot.

Hmmm...now there's an interesting corollary to this axiom...one doesn't necessarily get fewer tickets because (or at least ONLY because) one has added CM's that DEFEAT detection, but rather gets fewer tickets because the fact of HAVING and MONITORING those CM's has changed the driving habits of...ummm...one.

There is no doubt this is true in my case. That voice from the Passport reminding me that I'm over doesn't make me look nervously around for LEO and then speed up even more. On the contrary, it makes me automatically remove my foot from the accelerator and take inventory of my situation, let's me think about whether I want to be or NEED to be speeding right now or not.

By the way, I named the voice in the RD.

Her name, of course, is Prudence.

Ride safe,

CR

Newcomer

I agree completly. The detector has just aided in making me more consciously aware of my speed more than anything else. If that helps me to not get tickets and pay out the $$ then it's all good.