Knoxville (WVLT) - The cameras have been up and running for a week now and still hundreds of drivers are disregarding red lights.

Police hope ten cameras at dangerous intersections throughout Knoxville will help curb t-bone accidents.

Volunteer TV's Whitney Daniel takes a look at how many people are getting warnings in the mail, after just one week.

"You know they're watching you at all times," says 16-year-old Jesse Fisher.

Being behind the wheel is a new concept for Jesse Fisher.

"They'll make you obey the rules even if you don't see a cop or anything," says Fisher.

His mom, Debi, hopes Knoxville's new red light cameras will help make the right driving decisions.

"Who wants to get pulled over and get a ticket in the mail?" says Jesse's mother, Debi Greenlie. "He'll be more aware of it, I think, so it will be good."

And it's so far, so good for the system. Police say it's definitely working, citing more than 350 violators in one week.

"I was surprised by the number. It was a little bit higher than what I originally anticipated," says Knoxville Police Captain Gordon Catlett. "It is a lot of violations, you've got to consider that's about 50 violations a day."

A week after the cameras went online, engineers from 'Red Flex', the company overseeing camera operation, download information into the system. It's all part of a process police hope will help stop angle accidents at intersections.

"It's a good thing to have the cameras there because you're responsible for your actions," says Knoxville driver Trey Hamilton.

Responsibility, Defensive Driving, but the ultimate goal is to change driving habits.

"Right now unfortunately many people view a yellow light as a signal to hurry up and get through an intersection," says Captain Catlett.

"I know, I myself, am guilty of it. When you see the yellow light, it means speed up instead of slow down," says Hamilton.

Jesse says he's also guilty of running yellow lights when in a hurry. Now, he says he'd rather slow down than pay up.

"Fifty dollars is worth more than just a couple minutes," says Fisher.

The 350 violations come from the Kingston Pike - Alcoa Highway intersection alone.

Those cameras are the ones online now.

Another, at Cumberland and Henley Streets goes online next, police say probably this week.