Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Undetectable Car Speed Detector Invented

April 11, 2005 — A new speed-measuring system that its inventors say is fully undetectable may someday render radar detectors useless.

The inventors, from the University of Florida, will outline the research in a paper in an upcoming issue of the journal Transactions on Robotics and Automation.

The technology is so new that police are not yet equipped with it.

However, the device's inventors say that could change at any time, since it would take minimal effort to outfit officers with the system.

The U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research also is interested in the research, which it plans to apply to robotic airplanes and ground vehicles for surveillance purposes.

"It (the new system) will be forever undetectable since it does not emit any form of energy that gives itself away, like radar and laser systems," said Warren Dixon, a university assistant professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering who was part of the research team.

Radar and laser guns transmit beams to a moving object. Upon hitting the object, the beam changes frequency. When the beam returns back to the gun, the frequency change is deciphered to determine speed.

Detectors can pick up a gun's bands of energy and alert speeding motorists that someone is watching. As a result, many speeders avoid getting tickets.

Dixon told Discovery News that the new device, inspired by human vision, eliminates radar and laser beams altogether.

To read full story, here is the link

(http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...411/speed.html)

damnit

this thread was already created

oh well

Advanced Member

:shock:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the horn13
    Well GM in it's Corporate "Wisdom" justed handed the Police and Taxi market to Ford.
    The majority of cop cars and cabs are Crown Vics.
    Now they appear to be trying to get it back, typical.
    If there's a way to screw it up GM will find it and take it to the next level.

I personally think GM makes Crappy vehicles...not a fan.... :wink:
    What do you mean? Isn't Chevy GM? Chevy makes the Chevy Impala cop car that is pretty popular in this state. Did you read something the Wall Street Journal or something about this? I would love to know more info.

Chris

Radar Fanatic

Default New Speed Camera

All you have to do is render the license plate number unreadable. If the camera is infrared sensitive, all you have to do is aim some high intensity infrared lights at the license plate(s). The IR lights need only be stronger than the surrounding light and the license plate will be unreadable. And if the camera is not IR it useless at night and with adverse weather conditions.

For every speed enforcement measure, there is a countermeasure.

GTO_04

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by the horn13
    Well GM in it's Corporate "Wisdom" justed handed the Police and Taxi market to Ford.
    The majority of cop cars and cabs are Crown Vics.
    Now they appear to be trying to get it back, typical.
    If there's a way to screw it up GM will find it and take it to the next level.

I personally think GM makes Crappy vehicles...not a fan.... :wink:
    What do you mean? Isn't Chevy GM? Chevy makes the Chevy Impala cop car that is pretty popular in this state. Did you read something the Wall Street Journal or something about this? I would love to know more info.

Chris
    GM does make the Impala but it does not sell as well as the CV. And it took GM four full years to get the Impala police version after they killed the Caprice police version. They had the Lumina back then. They bought some Lumina police package cars here, and the police went on strike, entirely because of it!

Newcomer

Default Wait!

Well, as far as blocking your license plate, yeah that works. Problem is, this isn't a standalone machine. there is a cop behind it, and if the camera takes a series of pictures of your exact car and the speed and the distance from a pole. The cop then knows which car you are on, he gets in his cop car and follows you. What defense do you have to that? I am very into countermeasures, but I am not sure if there is a countermeasure due do that problem.

Speed Demon

Whoever is making that is really dumb...they think they will be famous or whatever. One day one of the inventors will get pulled over by a cop that was using that crap. He's going to wish he never made it...

Power User

Nah, officers like sitting in there car with the airconditioning on, radar is still going to be the bread and butter of citations issued, plus, its not like the poice department is going to just dump all there current technology thats works just as good.

This has been made a thread repeatedly, its just like Ku band. Get back in touch when a unit is actually approved for use in my state of Florida AND sold to a police department. Other than that like I said its a bunch of talk just like Ku radar. This talk is nothing but hot air, I think. :wink: