Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Speed and Redlight Cameras to be Installed in Cleveland!

Well, we knew the relight cameras were coming, and some of us doom and gloomers predicted speed cams would follow. Well we were wrong, the speed cams are coming at the same time as redlight cams!

I guess its time for me to get one of those anti-photoradar plate covers.... I just wish they had one that did anti-laser and anti-photo all in one plate cover.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...2688102150.xml

Green light for traffic cameras
    City targets speeding as well as stop signals
    Tuesday, May 03, 2005
    Olivera Perkins and Mike Tobin
    Plain Dealer Reporters

Cameras will start clicking photographs of cars speeding and running red lights in Cleveland by August.

City Council voted 16-5 on Monday to approve a controversial plan to install red-light cameras at 30 intersections throughout the city. Six of those cameras will do double duty and also nab speeders.

But there's more. Cleveland will install six speeding-only cameras at other intersections, plus have six "mobile" cameras in cars or vans that are moved among locations.

The cameras will snap pictures of cars running red lights or speeding. After police review the photos, the city will mail $100 tickets to the car owners.

The violation jumps to $200 for cars caught speeding more than 25 mph over the limit, or speeding in a school or construction zone.

The plan passed Monday night was substantially different from an earlier proposal by Mayor Jane Campbell.

The new provisions include making sure vehicles with mobile cameras are marked, limiting the number of cameras and ensuring that council has final say on where they are placed.

"It is not a blank check to write tickets, but a very limited program," said Councilman Jay Westbrook, who helped craft the plan.

Still, several council members expressed reservations. Councilwoman Dona Brady, for example, voted against the plan because she said her residents were "vehemently against it."

The city has not chosen where cameras will be installed. Officials say they will pick the sites based on traffic flow and accident rates.

"We're not trying to trick anyone," said Public Service Director Mark Ricchiuto. "This is for obvious violators who are clearly running red lights or speeding."

The city hopes to generate $2 million this year from the traffic cameras.

Campbell initially said the plan would produce $6.5 million when she introduced it in March as part of her budget, but council members complained that would require a huge number of tickets and thought the target was unrealistic.

Several groups also claimed the mayor was more interested in generating money for the city's tight budget than reducing the number of traffic accidents. In the past two months, Campbell has continued to emphasize safety, saying the cameras would reduce accidents.

The city has selected Dallas-based Affiliated Computer Services, better known as ACS, to operate the cameras. The company will provide the equipment and pay for the installation.

Cleveland will pay the company a flat fee, which must be negotiated, and keep any revenue beyond that. The city will not pay the company until the cameras generate enough money to at least cover the fee.

For the red-light cameras, sensors will be installed in the pavement, past the stop line. If a car passes over the sensors when the light is red, a camera snaps a picture of the car's rear license plate.

One second later, another picture is taken of the car passing through the intersection.

The speeding cameras record the speed of cars and snap a picture of the license plates of those exceeding the limit.

The vendor's employees and police officers will review the photographs. The police then will issue a ticket to the car owner, regardless of who was driving the car.

In deciding how much over the speed limit a car has to going to be issued a ticket, officers who review the photos will use "the same discretion" they now use when catching speeders, Westbrook said.

Because the pictures will not identify the driver, red-light and speeding citations will be considered civil, not criminal, infractions, so no points will be assessed to the owner's license.

City officials plan to have the first of the cameras installed within three months.

There will be a one-month testing period. For the ensuing two weeks, people who run red lights or speed will be mailed warnings.

The city plans to have all the cameras up and running by the end of the year. [/url]

I believe that red-light cameras should be installed everywhere. Running red-lights on purpose is VERY dangerous. It has gotten so bad here in Louisville that someone runs almost every single red light. No joke, I make sure to look both ways before I take off and 9 out of 10 times someone goes on through. And to make things worse the local law enforcement does not enforce the law. Louisville has a huge PR problem with the PD here. Our young white cops keep shooting young black inner city kids. As a result the token chief of police (they only appointed him for PR reasons) has told the officers to lay off on traffic tickets, as it is not popular with the public.
    The driving is Louisville is flat out f'ing rediculous! The written part of the driving test is 15 questions that any jacka$$ could answer. Driving classes are not mandetory and no one reads the driving manual.
    On the way to work this morning there was only like one or two cars in the right lane for every ten - fifteen in the left. On top of that, the speed limit is 65 and the a'holes in the laft lane are driving 50-55. F'king idiots! The drivers manual for Ky. clearly states that the left lane is NOT the "fast" lane, it is designated for passing ONLY. The manual also states that it is illegal in Ky. to cruise in the left lane.
    Thing only thing good in L'ville is the college basketball and football. I hate Louisville and I can't wait to get the h3ll out!
    Thanks for listening to my vent...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AceFreely
    I believe that red-light cameras should be installed everywhere. Running red-lights on purpose is VERY dangerous. It has gotten so bad here in Louisville that someone runs almost every single red light. No joke, I make sure to look both ways before I take off and 9 out of 10 times someone goes on through. And to make things worse the local law enforcement does not enforce the law. Louisville has a huge PR problem with the PD here. Our young white cops keep shooting young black inner city kids. As a result the token chief of police (they only appointed him for PR reasons) has told the officers to lay off on traffic tickets, as it is not popular with the public.
    The driving is Louisville is flat out f'ing rediculous! The written part of the driving test is 15 questions that any jacka$$ could answer. Driving classes are not mandetory and no one reads the driving manual.
    On the way to work this morning there was only like one or two cars in the right lane for every ten - fifteen in the left. On top of that, the speed limit is 65 and the a'holes in the laft lane are driving 50-55. F'king idiots! The drivers manual for Ky. clearly states that the left lane is NOT the "fast" lane, it is designated for passing ONLY. The manual also states that it is illegal in Ky. to cruise in the left lane.
    Thing only thing good in L'ville is the college basketball and football. I hate Louisville and I can't wait to get the h3ll out!
    Thanks for listening to my vent...

Keeping people from running red lights is a noble goal. However this is NOT why cities put inredlight cameras. They put them in for the revenue. Here in cleveland I heard a radio interview with a mayor's aid where the radio host recommended that after the equipment is paid off, all further revenue from the machines should go to charity. Needless to say the suggestion was laughed at.

In many instances around the country, the companies running these cameras will decrease the yellow light duration to increase the number of citations written (and thus the cash flow).

Also, did you notice that the car is ticketed, not the driver? Downtown Cleveland has many restaurants that offer Vallet Parking. You mean to tell me that when I give the Vallet my key, I may get a $100 ticket in the mail a week later? BULL BUTTER.

This is a Scam that has absolutely nothing to do with safety.

Banned

just buy a superprotector from Roy at www.radarbusters.com.

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    Yeah I probly will. Anyone know if they are legal in ohio?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    Yeah I probly will. Anyone know if they are legal in ohio?
    They probably aren't. What is worse? A $350.00 red light ticket that raises your insurance premiums or getting a license plate cover ticket 3 times a year at $55.00 a pop that doesn't raise your insurance?

Chris

Most people don't realize that the yellow light means to stop. They think it means to hurry up and try to beat it out. I always stop at yellow unless I am going too fast to do so safely. I would not have any trouble with red-light cameras. They had them in the DC area when I lived there and it was a non issue for me. That said, I wish they would install them here in Louisville. I believe that it would help curb all of these people running red lights here. And to be honest, our city could use the extra revenue...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AceFreely
    Most people don't realize that the yellow light means to stop. They think it means to hurry up and try to beat it out. I always stop at yellow unless I am going too fast to do so safely. I would not have any trouble with red-light cameras. They had them in the DC area when I lived there and it was a non issue for me. That said, I wish they would install them here in Louisville. I believe that it would help curb all of these people running red lights here. And to be honest, our city could use the extra revenue...
    Despite a distinct sympathy in favor of camera enforcement, the researchers found a "definite" increase in rear-end accidents and only a "possible" decrease in angle accidents. Most importantly, the net effect was that more injuries happened after cameras are installed. Camera proponents explain this away by asserting angle accidents are more serious, but this claim has not been scientifically studied according to this report. The rear end collisions caused by the cameras still produce injuries -- the original promise of camera proponents was that they would reduce accidents and injuries, not rearrange them
    http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/news.asp?ID=117

Manufacturer

This subject is likely to really heat-up soon.

I know Craig Peterson is working on exposing the myths of red-light cameras.

I good college buddy of mine works in DC proper and travels around Fairfax County, VA routinely.

He has told me that since red-light cameras have been installed accident rates [rear-ends] have risen noticeably.

Why? Because people are so scared of them, that they are tending to nail the brakes hard at a yellow instead of travelling normally through a changing series from amber to red.

The shame of this all is that in the name of revenue generation that the authorities may actually be causing higher accident rates with the use of these devices. Apparently, simply increasing the time delay by seconds between amber to red and to green for the opposing lanes is enough to substantially drop the rate of intersection-related accidents.

Instead of simply timing lights better at each intersection, or a series of them on a road, or putting in smart intersection lights, law enforcement is actually creating a bigger problem - all in the name of safety, obstensibly and in the name of revenue, in reality.

In fact, I understand that the manufacturers of the red-light camera devices pay, in effect, a commission cheque to the municipality that purchased and operates them.

This is a really bad idea, gone amuck. Philadelphia, I believe, is considering the implementation of these things, as well. That city is so strapped for cash and losing its tax-revenue base its resorting to this tactic.

Sure the idea is noble, but the reality is far less so.

Does the expression - "the cure is worse than the disease" ring any bells here?

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Power User

It's funny the Virginia general assumbly voted to stop using the Red Light cameras. I remember it being a close vote, but more votes to can it than not. They intially approved them for 10 years in Northern VA and VA Beach area jurisdictions. So when the 10 years runs out which is soon, no more red light cameras.

I can't believe the communist state of VA voted not to renew them.