Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Washington DC Reform Act

DMV Reform Amendment Act Of 2004 Provisions Take Effect

Includes hybrid vehicle excise tax break, higher commercial registration fees, consumer title protection and tag-covering fines

Washington, DC - The District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles Reform Amendment Act, enacted last December, went into effect this week, allowing the introduction of a myriad of changes in regulation, customer service and consumer protection.

"Things are changing at DMV", said Anne Witt, DMV's Director. "These legislative amendments assist in our quest to balance reliable regulation with consistent customer service."

Effective immediately, owners of hybrid and other alternative fuel vehicles will not pay an excise tax and will have a reduced registration rate, while excise tax rates for heavy passenger vehicles (over 5,000 pounds) will increase to 8% (from 7%). Also, commercial vehicles, including taxis and other vehicles for hire, will be subject to higher registration fees. Commercial fees had not been increased for over 30 years.

The Act also brings a set of consumer protections previously absent in the District, by creating an obligation to report damaged vehicles to the DMV and the ability for DMV to place a corresponding salvage, flood-damaged, or non-repairable vehicle "brand" on the vehicle's title, ensuring these conditions are not hidden from subsequent owners.

The Act also amends a number of traffic violations enforced by the Metropolitan Police Department, including the institution of a $500 fine for any covering applied to a license plate, and a $100 fine if an opened alcoholic beverage container is found in a vehicle. It further requires that liability for a photo radar ticket can only be re-assigned if a driver's license number is provided.

"I applaud the growing partnership between MPD and DMV", said Metropolitan Police Department Chief Charles Ramsey. "The same cooperation that resulted in the dramatic turn-around in temporary tag abuse is now being extended to other areas of motor vehicle enforcement."

Details on the above-mentioned provisions are attached and, as they are implemented, DMV's website at www.dmv.dc.gov is being updated to reflect the new information. For DMV locations and normal hours of service, please visit www.dmv.dc.gov or call the DMV call center at 202-727-5000.
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Speed Demon

$500 for a plate cover? :shock:

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by robert
    $500 for a plate cover? :shock:
    And $100 for an open container. WTF is wrong with their priorities? Apparently safety doesn't mean jack anymore.

Advanced Member

Yeah their priorities are way f 'd up...
    Alcohol related accidents kill WAY more people than speeding, and many that are attributed to speeding are actually alcohol related!

Radar Fanatic

It just hit me. Maybe the reporter just totally blew it and the fines for open container/plate cover are reversed? Am I wrong for hoping that this is the case?

Advanced Member

I dunno...I found a PDF HERE where it mentions the $500 plate cover fine, but it doesn't say anything about the open containers...

Power User

Cause in DC they don't give a F what you do as long as you give them your money.

Experienced

Hmm, as long as you're under the legal limit, I don't see a problem at all with open alcohol containers in the vehicle, but that's just me I guess. As for the plate covers, hmm, glad I'm in Canada. That's just a silly, blatant tax grab (but I guess with the US's lower tax rates to start with the difference has to be made up somewhere :wink: )

Good Citizen

100$ for a open alc. bottle? What then for an empty six pack in the back seat? 600$?
    ops:

Speed Demon

I used to live in DC but moved to B'more 5 years ago. My wife still works in DC, guess her laser shield comes off. :?