Someone in the state of IL needs to Jam this guy!

'Ticketmaster' leads the state in catching speeders

Saturday, July 1, 2006

Trooper Doug Raiser is a master of multi-tasking. He listens to two police radios and a citizens band radio while monitoring a laptop computer that flashes messages at him.

At the same time, the 32-year-old trooper is squinting through a LIDAR laser gun. His window is down, which is better to gauge the rhythm of the Friday night bound-for-partying-in-the-city traffic passing by on the northbound Stevenson Expressway.

"I've gotten a couple of DUIs off the CB," Raiser says. "They say, 'Smokey, look at this car.' Sure enough I chase it down, and sure enough it's a DUI. You know those truckers don't want cars crashing into (them)."

Raiser, a former Orland Park police officer, wrote 507 speeding tickets in 2005, more than any other officer in the state. That same year Raiser was also No. 1 in his district for open alcohol container citations, No. 2 for child seat restraint violations and No. 3 for DUIs.

He knows the seven-mile stretch of the Stevenson between County Line Road and I-355 like the back of his hand. He likes to hit the northbound side early.

"People going downtown, they might have open beer in the car or they're just speeding to get down there."

After lunch about 3 a.m., he'll switch over to the southbound side and wait for people coming back from the city after being out all night.

While he's driving and listening to the radios and monitoring his forward and rear-facing radars, he's scrutinizing every car, occasionally tapping plate numbers into his laptop.

Little-known fact: the laptop can tell you how many times some other cop has run the same plate ... and when ... and where.

A black BMW clocks in at 100 m.p.h. from 978 feet back.

"Is there any way you can give me a warning or something? Doesn't my past record count for anything?"

"You mean the 11 syndicated gambling charges," Raiser responds, courtesy of the laptop. "That shouldn't count, it has nothing to do with this," the driver replies.

He's right. But going 100 mph earns him a ticket — from Illinois' ticketmaster.

Art Golab