Dodge County speeders quick with excuses

The Reporter Staff

JUNEAU Excuses are flying as fast as the drivers as Dodge County officers crack down on speeders.

In the past month, officers have stopped a number of drivers traveling in excess of 100 miles per hour on county roads. The offenses net hefty fines and often citations for other offenses, according to a Dodge County Sheriff's Department press release.

A sampling of some of the traffic stops:

# An 18-year-old Oshkosh woman was arrested at 2:27 a.m. on Sept. 10 when she was clocked traveling 110 mph in a construction zone on Highway 41.

The woman, who was on her way to meet friends in Milwaukee, said she was running late and admitted to driving at speeds around 100 mph. In addition, the woman had been drinking and was arrested for drunken driving, and possession of marijuana and open intoxicants. An 18-year-old passenger in the car was cited for underage drinking and carrying a concealed weapon.

The speeding citation alone carries a fine of $501, said Kreitzman.

# Earlier this month, a 27-year-old Iron Ridge man was cited for traveling 103 mph on County Trunk S near Harvest Road.

"He told us he was running late for work and that he was only doing what he thought was around 85-90 mph," Kreitzman said.

# On the same day, a 20-year-old West Bend man was ticketed for traveling 92 mph in a 55 mph zone on Highway 33 near County Trunk I. When asked about his speed, the man replied, "I don't know how fast I was going, but it was fast," according to reports.

# Chalking up his 15th traffic citation since 1999, a 33-year-old Cascade man was cited on Sept. 14 for traveling 95 mph on County Trunk S near Astor Road.

The man told police he was running late getting to his girlfriend's house. In addition to another speeding ticket, the man was issued a citation for operating a motor vehicle without a valid driver's license.

# Just minutes later on the same stretch of highway, a 19-year-old Iron Ridge man was picked up for driving 102 mph.

"For a deputy to monitor traffic on a county highway and cite two people for speeds around 100 mph within 45 minutes is baffling to me," said Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls. "Recently we have been doing a major media campaign to advise motorists of our stepped up enforcement efforts. It's apparent that some people do not believe it or aren't listening."

According to a review of the records, speeding arrests by Dodge County sheriff's deputies have increased three-fold.

"It's this type of conduct (speeding) that puts not only driver and passenger at risk but also the innocent drivers that share the roadways," said Dodge County Sheriff's Capt. Rodney Kreitzman.

"There is no person that would be able to successfully avoid collision or maintain control of an automobile if presented with an emergency situation while traveling at 100-plus miles per hour," Kreitzman said.

Add alcohol to speed and you have a formula for disaster, he said.