Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Trucker Lobby wants 68 mph limit on new rigs

http://www.hemscott.com/news/latest-...36870146763738

I have heard this is a bit of a trojan horse but its an attempt to slow the competition down.

Yoda of Radar

Sixty-eight. Why 68? I guess because it's 110 km/h?

In Europe, all the trucks are blocked from exceeding 90 km/h (56 mi/h) and speed limits are pretty low (80 km/h on the German Autobahnen).

The advantages to having trucks drive slower are quite numerous, they would save a rather large amount of fuel since the aerodynamics of the trucks are so poor just because of their size and shape. As well, the trucks will be easier to control in a nasty situation. The problem is that it might be more tiring on the drivers, and most importantly the drivers will be ticked off because a lower speed directly translates to a lower paycheque (though if they pay for the fuel...)

But, 110 km/h on a loaded rig is pretty quick, you can't go much faster. I've seen unladen trucks top 140 before (crazy bastards!) and the mental issue isn't as prevalent as it would for a car driver (since there is a lot more concentration involved driving a big truck).

Lead Foot

Drive I-95 at 2:00 AM and tell me that trucks don't exceed 90 MPH. Newer tractors are geared for much higher speeds than in the days of the double-nickel.

Bill

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by billgerr
    Drive I-95 at 2:00 AM and tell me that trucks don't exceed 90 MPH. Newer tractors are geared for much higher speeds than in the days of the double-nickel.

Bill
    scary ... i think trucks should be limited to 65 across the board.

Old Timer

Default response

Well seeing I am a card carrying Class A CDL licensed driver, I would say it is fine for trucks to go around 75mph. When your the one who is paid by the mile and trying to impress your boss by getting in as many miles that you can in a day, then "YOU" might feel differently about truck speeds. No I don't condone trucks to drive like maniacs but I also don't think that LEOS should pick on truckers just because they are doing there job. Truckers have enough to deal w/ like scales, logbooks (fudging them of course), equipment working properly, weather, and GETTING TO THERE DESTINATIONS ON TIME (if possible).

Professional

they always alert each other so they manage to stay ticket free most of the time, but I heard it's pretty bad if you get caught speeding with a CDL sometimes supervision is not a option like for the rest of us regular drivers

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: response

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember
    Well seeing I am a card carrying Class A CDL licensed driver, I would say it is fine for trucks to go around 75mph. When your the one who is paid by the mile and trying to impress your boss by getting in as many miles that you can in a day, then "YOU" might feel differently about truck speeds. No I don't condone trucks to drive like maniacs but I also don't think that LEOS should pick on truckers just because they are doing there job. Truckers have enough to deal w/ like scales, logbooks (fudging them of course), equipment working properly, weather, and GETTING TO THERE DESTINATIONS ON TIME (if possible).
    Well said fellow mate!! WELL SAID!

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: response

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember
    X3, It is getting tough to be a truck driver, as most of us know we are required to pass a stringent medical exam every two years.
    Most or all of us are on pre employment and random drug testing which now includes any alcohol which is at a much lower level than a non commercial driver.
    In Ca effective September 20, 2005, commercial drivers or drivers of commercial vehicles became ineligible to attend traffic violator school for the purpose of removing a traffic violation on his/her driving record regardless of the type of vehicle driven.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/olin/06_o...t/06olin03.htm
    Hazmat drivers now have to go through a homeland security check, yea like the terrorists are going to go through legal channels and not hijack a truck or use a rental truck.
    http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...able_0219.shtm

Old Timer

Default well said

Well said V1 Dave. The govt likes to pick on us truck drivers.

Lead Foot

well most trucks from what i hear these days are limited to 74 mph. soo the flow of traffic in nebraska is actually greater because only about 1 in maybe 15 drivers actually goes 75 or lower ... its usually about 78 with atleast a 1/3 going 80. In the three lane 75 zones, trucks are only allowed in the right two lanes, soo traffic can get back them easier.

The downside is that it is hard to follow when the trucks become model citizens. :?