Administrator

Default Radar Jammers illegal on Colorado

POSTED: 10:38 pm MDT June 3, 2005

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Devices that can help drivers get away with speeding soon will be illegal in Colorado.

Beginning July 1, it will be against the law to use or sell radar-jamming devices. Violators face a $1,000 fine and a year in jail. The law is similar to those in Oklahoma, Utah, California, Minnesota, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

There are two types of devices. One bends a radar's wavelength, making it give no reading or an incorrect reading. The other transmits a signal that overrides an officer's radar receiver.

"I can't think why any person would need one of these, unless they want to break the law," El Paso County Sheriff's Deputy Ray Gerhart said.

He added that without the law, officers had no authority to search a vehicle for the devices.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traf...14/detail.html
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Experienced

So this goes besides federal law on jammers (that I've heard it's hard to enforce becouse it's enforced by FCC and not police)? So now police can pull you over on suspicion of radar jamming and search your vehicle.

The law is similar to those in Oklahoma, Utah, California, Minnesota, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
    So all these states already have such laws?
    Also:

The new law also could help police stop street racers who use the devices to elude authorities by allowing them to give racers additional fines that average more than $100.
    Street racers? Doesn't this allow them to give extra fine to anyone who uses "devices to elude authorities ", such as RD's, scaners... How'd you prove that you're not a street racer anyway?

Radar Fanatic

This is a totally pointless law, if you ask me. Active jammers are finicky, expensive, rare, and already totally illegal due to FCC regs. Passive jammers just don't work. The ONLY thing that this law can really do is mess with people running RMR crap.

On the other hand, I'd like to know how the law is worded. For instance, what constitutes suspicion of a radar jammer? A box suction-cupped to the windshield? If so, this could lead to endorsed harassment of RD users.

Newcomer

Default Laser Devices are banned also

Experienced

Wow, this gets even better:

For purposes of this section, "radar jamming device" means any active or passive device, instrument, mechanism or equipment that is designed or intended to interfere with, disrupt, or scramble the radar or laser that is used by law enforcement agencies and peace officers to measure the speed of motor vehicles. ..."
    This is not just radar, it also makes laser jammers illegal and all other equipment, active or passive. Tehnically this makes even VEIL illegal :shock: