Radar Fanatic

Default A new way to incite UK motorists to riot...

From BBC News:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610755.stm

No radar detector content, but relevant to our larger cause of driving without excessive oppression by the authorities. Honestly, I think this is the most ridiculous government plan that I've read about in quite some time. It's the classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. They want to improve their road system by making it unusable! How out of touch with the average citizen does a politician have to be in order to think this plan reasonable?

That has to be one of the worst proposed laws I have ever seen!

Speed Demon

next thing you know they'll want to charge us for every email we send!

Speed Demon

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000913045781/

Pilot programs use GPS to charge road taxes

Posted Jun 7, 2005, 7:00 AM ET by Marc Perton
    Related entries: GPS, Transportation

If you think the government is planning to track your car by GPS, keeping tabs on you everywhere you go, it looks like you’re right — if you live in Oregon or the UK, that is. The Beaver State is running a federally funded test of a GPS-based system that replaces state gas taxes a with pay-at-the-pump road usage tax. In the UK, Transport Secretary Alistair Darling says he’d like a similar system on a nationwide basis, with per-mile taxes of as much as £1.34. Our bet is that the UK plan will eventually fly, while in America, an alliance of civil libertarians on the left and anti-tax conservatives on the right, will torpedo any growth of this beyond the pilot stage. (Of course that doesn’t mean the government won’t still use GPS to keep tabs on you everywhere you go.)

Radar Fanatic

Oregon, too? Damn! I really hope this gets shut down. I thought we were trying to encourage people to buy more fuel efficient cars? Fuel taxes are a pain but they stimulate the purchase of hybrids and smaller cars instead of monster SUV beasts. (Hell, if you absolutely need an SUV we can find ways to make them more efficient, too. If we want to.) This is technology rising to accomodate our life style. The road tax program is just the opposite: technology used against our lifestyle so that newer, better technogy is delayed even more. I guess it's all good around here as long as people are encouraged to put as much money oil consumption as possible.

Good Citizen

I bet RMR has something that would jam the satellite feed ;-)

Radar Fanatic

yeah i bet they have mike churchmans super microtech jammer!

has anyone ever thought that mike churchman is a mike valentine wannabe!

put it this way they are both the the opposite ends of the scale!

lucky we have mike valentine on our side!