I have my local paper that has the full story to this and I will post it as soon as it's available on the net.

Task force to study traffic problems
Speeding, Highway K congestion among key topics

By Nina Kult
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 5:52 PM CST

O'Fallon residents will likely have more of a voice when it comes to helping solve traffic problems.

City officials gave the nod to create the Resident Task Force on Traffic Solutions as recommended by Council President Peter Cantwell, Ward 3.

The idea to create the task force came from this year's community survey.

The survey, which was conducted by Kansas-based ETC Institute, was given to a random selection of 600 households to examine city services and determine priorities for the community.

After reviewing the results, Chris Tatham, representative from ETC, said over the next two years city officials should emphasize north-south traffic flow and maintenance of streets, signs and signals as well as more public involvement in decision-making.
"The No. 1 and No. 2 problems in the city, as told to us in the citizen's survey and from citizens, is speeding in subdivisions and traffic on Highway K," Cantwell said. "I know what it's like in my subdivision, but I don't live in every subdivision in the city. By getting together residents, we can look at ways to solve the situations."

Cantwell said the committee will solicit advice and input from police, traffic engineers, public works, builders, developers and business owners.

The committee will be made up of three residents representing each of O'Fallon's four wards as well as one councilman. The committee will start meeting in January at least once a month.

Cantwell is hoping to attract volunteers in the next few weeks. He is looking for anyone with ideas and those who may be most affected by traffic issues.

Those interested are encouraged to contact their councilman or fill out an application at City Hall.

Cantwell said he has seen traffic and speeding identified as concerns in the community survey for the past three years. He said while the city generally does a good job addressing those concerns, it certainly needs help.

Nina Kult can be contacted at nkult@yourjournal.com