Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Another reason to use a Detector....

It's in the news today that law makers want State and Local Police Departments to "remove" the 10mph cushion given to speeders on our highways and biways. They said since the limit has gone up in most states, so has the fatality rate. So they use this as the reason to delete the cushion given to drivers. So, if you are driving 65, in a 55, then it's quite possible that you are looking at a speeding ticket!
    Get that detector if you haven't already. Maybe some Veil on those headlights! :wink: :shock:

Yoda of Radar

But the fatality rate has continually GONE DOWN!

Experienced

Yes, I've heard that too, the fatality rate has gone down. Goes to show what brainwashing governments will do in the name of revenue generation and to try and perpetuate the myths it's all based on.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    but Bush thinks this might save gas...sadly in 4thgear at 55mph I'm not making any boost for my turbo and i make barely any at 60, i have to go at least 70 get a decent level of boost

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Lead Foot

Regardless of what is done for law, cops still have to 'want' to catch speeders, most of them here are lazy lol.

Radar Fanatic

More stupidity. Even if it were true that the fatality rate had gone up in the last 10 years there are other factors that could be coming into play. Blaming a problem on one variable that hasn't been isolated from the many is an offence worthy of a good old-fashioned flogging. Let's talk about:
    -Dramatically increased traffic volume
    -The widespread usage of SUVs, which barely existed when the 55mph speed limits were in use.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    but Bush thinks this might save gas...sadly in 4thgear at 55mph I'm not making any boost for my turbo and i make barely any at 60, i have to go at least 70 get a decent level of boost
    Less boost you're running the less fuel you're using...

Boost ≠ economy

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by synmoo
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Less boost you're running the less fuel you're using...

Boost ≠ economy
    Ideally your maximum efficiency would be at close to full throttle with no boost (ie naturally aspirated) or a slight amount. Unfortunately this efficiency (ie power for gas) results in a LOT of power and a lot of gas as well. So a smaller motor is in order. But such a gutless motor would be firstly highly dangerous, and burn more gas because you are always working it too hard.

One problem with gasoline Otto-stroke engines (save a certain BMW V12) is the throttle plate. The throttle works by "choking" the motor so it doesn't suck more air and speed up. This dramatically increases the amount of energy you waste just by sucking the air in. This is also the primary reason a diesel powered car gets so much better milage when going around town in light-footed situations.

Yoda of Radar

What I would be interested in developing would be an electronic throttle and turbocharger boost control that would be integrated. It would first begin by opening the throttle towards WOT, and then start cranking up the boost as more power is required. This would be much more efficient than what you have now, which is as you open the throttle you are pushing air against the throttle one way (via turbo) and are sucking it against the other way (by the pistons). :roll: