Yoda of Radar

Default Bosch's Speeding Solution

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_boschs_...ding/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy

BOXBERG, Germany – Robert Bosch GmbH has a new device that may keep lead-foot drivers out of trouble with the law.

At the supplier's test track here, Bosch demonstrates its roadsign recognition system on a Mercedes-Benz S-Class. A complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) camera placed below the rear-view mirror surveys the road ahead and is programmed to identify speed-limit and other traffic signs.

For the demonstration, the prototype Mercedes S-Class is set up with a black-and-white video display of the road ahead, with the roadsign highlighted in color. Once identified, the vehicle gives audible notification to the driver: “Speed limit, 50.”

The system works as intended, notifying the driver each time the speed limit changes. The device could be handy in city traffic, where speed limits frequently change, often on the same road.

It can be programmed for a customer's preference. For instance, a visual notice can be given to the driver, rather than an audible one. Plus, the system can be programmed to notify the driver only if the vehicle is exceeding the speed limit by 5 mph or 10 mph (8 or 16 km/h).

Speed-limit signs across Europe may use slightly different type styles, but their basic designs are the same: round and white, with black type and a red ring around the perimeter. In the U.S., speed-limit signs generally are rectangular, white and black. The device is designed to detect either type.

Bosch says the CMOS camera has high dynamic range, allowing it to work equally well at night or during the day, as well as in snow and rain.

Bosch is unable to talk about the system's cost because it does not yet have a customer. However, several auto makers have expressed interest in the technology, which is nearly ready for production.

tmurphy@primediabusiness.com
    When I read the title I thought NO A SPEED CAMERA! But no this isn't bad. Annoying maybe.

Speed Demon

that's pretty trick.

Yoda of Radar

What happens when someone puts up a sign saying "250 free puppies" or something on the side of the road? Can you tell the police that hey, the car said the speedlimit was 250mi/h?

Experienced

Now we just need to adapt it to look down the highway, identify police vehicles or radar guns (or vascar planes) and issue a warning... Similar to the visual "undetectable" camera that was a thread on this forum a while ago, but this time in our favour! I'm sure it could be done, given the resolution and zoom I get on my lowly 6MP camera..

Yoda of Radar

It seems interesting that you could integrate this into an RD. "Speed trap ahead. Limit 100km/h"

Experienced

I don't know about the costs, but wouldn't it be so much simpler if you just had a gps, and program it with speed limits for every road in your country (somebody could do this and just sell disks with a file, and you just buy and upload it to a gps). This way you've got a gps, and you know the speed limit wherever you are, even if the sign is torn or missing or whatever. Any gps manufacturer could do this, I don't know why don't they :?

Radar Fanatic

It would be hard to maintain the database. Speed limits change, and it's especially hard to to keep up with things like construction zones. Personally, I don't need a device to tell me how fast I should be going. (I have enough trouble accepting cruise control and automatic transmissions.) But I think that if you can make it cheap, the sign reader is the most reliable solution.

Experienced

I don't know how is it organized, but I figure that there has to be a database with all speed limits at least on a state basis. (if there isn't, there definitely shoud be one), and then they could post changes as they happen. Manufacturer would keep track of that and release updates on the internet or something, I don't know if it would work for construction zones (which should be particularelly well marked anyway) but regular speed limits don't change that often.

And gps wouldn't be "telling" you anything, it would just have a figure displayed on screen, for informational purpose. I suppose you could turn the audio alert option on/off if you wanted.