WASHINGTON - Three weeks after acknowledging problems with the District's red light and speed cameras, Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier said more of the cameras are working.

At one point, more than half of the city's 50 cameras were either not working or uncertified.

On WTOP's Ask the Chief program Thursday, Lanier said 36 of the city's 50 red light cameras are now working. Ten of 12 mobile speed cameras are now operational.

"All the fixed radar sites are up and operational," said Lanier of the rest of the speed cameras.

Lanier wouldn't disclose the locations of the non-working speed cameras.

The problems with the cameras came to light as the city changed contractors from Affiliated Computer Services to American Traffic Solutions.

Affiliated Computer Services is the firm that installed the system. It's been under scrutiny for its handling of the District's parking meters.

Impact of Fewer Park Police

On another policing issue, a shortage of U.S. Park Police officers could have an impact on the workload of D.C.'s officers.

U.S. Park Police officers patrol federal areas and handle the policing around the monuments, including on the National Mall.

The watchdog group, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, says a report by U.S. Park Police Chief Dwight E. Pettiford finds Park Police staffing to be at its lowest level since 1988. There are 588 officers on the force, more than 200 below the level recommended in 2001, The Washington Times reports.

"When you have big, special events and a large part of those events are covered in Park Police territory, it does mean something for my resources," Lanier said. "If Dwight doesn't have the resources to cover these large areas, I have to help shore him up. But he does return the favor when I need him to help shore me up as well."

Finding and keeping officers is a "huge, huge challenge" for departments all around the country, Lanier said.

Lanier's department tracks its loss of officers monthly and the numbers continue to drop. She's hopeful that officers get the equipment they need to do their jobs that the number of voluntary resignations will decline.

(Copyright 2007 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)