The Highway Patrol is planning a crackdown on speeders and aggressive drivers along busy work zones across the state, including one in Guilford County.

Operation Drive Smart will begin this week, targeting the work zones on Interstates 85 and 40 in Guilford County and seven others in North Carolina, according to a news release.

Troopers will use motorcycles and marked and unmarked patrol vehicles. Included in the crackdown will be commercial motor vehicle drivers committing serious traffic violations. These violations include speeding, following too closely, improper or erratic lane changes, careless and reckless driving and any violation of the motor vehicle laws that result in serious injury or death

According to the N.C. Department of Transportation, there were 4,478 work zone crashes resulting in more than 1,500 injuries in 2005. Thirty crashes were fatal. Speeding and driver distraction account for more than half of all work zone crashes.

Other work zones targeted are:

* U.S. 17 Bypass in Bertie County

* I-95 in Cumberland and Robeson counties

* U.S. 70 Clayton Bypass in Johnston and Wake counties

* I-85 in Rowan County

* I-77 in Yadkin County

* I-40 in Buncombe County

* I-77 in Mecklenburg County

During a similar operation in 2006, troopers issued more than 800 citations for speed violations in work zones across the state. Troopers also cited 58 motorists for aggressive driving, 13 for driving while impaired and 171 for seat belt violations.

Motorists may report dangerous driving to the Highway Patrol by dialing *HP on their cellular phones.