Old Timer

Default Aussie: Home raided, car seized based on a phone tip

Friday, May 11, 2007
    Australia: Home Raided, Car Seized Based on Phone Tip
    Police in Kambalda, Western Australia made their first automobile seizure based solely on evidence provided by a caller to a hotline. Police raided the home of an 18-year-old at 3pm after receiving a phone-in tip from someone claiming to have seen the teenager's Holden Commodore driving carelessly. That was enough for police to take away the Holden and arrest the 18-year-old for reckless driving, driving without a license and driving an unregistered vehicle. Kambalda Magistrate's Court will hear the case on Tuesday. Several West Australian cities have enacted what are called "Dob a Hoon" laws that allow anyone to order a car seizure by calling a hotline to give the license plate number of a neighbor or enemy. Legislation authorizing such ordinances went into effect on April 30. Cars can be seized for 48 hours, or permanently if so ordered by a judge. "To make it tougher for hoons to get back on the road, they now have to pay the impound fees before the vehicle is released," Community Safety Minister John Kobelke explained. The program is expected to make thousands in additional revenue.
    Source: Police make first dob in a hoon seizure (The West Australian (Australia), 5/10/2007)
    When I read this, it started to make me wonder. Anyone else?
    Courtesy of www.thenewspaper.com

Newcomer

That is crazy......

Although there would be a couple of cars that it would be nice to get the plate number, as they fly up the shoulder at 60 mph, when everybody else is stopped due to construction..

But seriously that is just stupid..
    I wonder what would happen if somebody called the hot line and accused the magistrate or legislators of driving recklessly. What would happen then?

Old Timer

Default probably

Probably nothing upsnake. Remember, they are perfect don't you know. J/K so I don't get into trouble.

Old Timer

Just start calling in and flood the hotline with random plates and addresses. Include some city officials. All from a public phone of course That is all a bunch of crap. What movie was it that was a police state and people would report other people.... I think there's been plenty. And we all know how they ended. :roll:

Old Timer

Default heck

Heck Elvato, people report us civilians using radar all the time and for no reason but as "suspicious". Sucks

yeah this story was in the local rag...man what is wrong with people...terrible