A MOTORCYCLIST returning from the Grand Prix at Phillip Island was clocked at 247km/h, a court heard yesterday.

But plumber Mark Doggett, 31, is contesting the accuracy of the speed camera reading, believed to be one of the highest recorded in Victoria.

Police say the camera, in a 100km/h zone on the Westall Rd extension in Dingley, snapped Mr Doggett at 247km/h about 6.35pm on September 17.

Mr Doggett, of Tamar Grove, Oakleigh, pleaded not guilty in Dandenong Magistrates' Court to riding in a dangerous manner and at a dangerous speed and speeding.

The court heard he would call expert witnesses to prove he could not ride upright at that speed without falling off his 2005 Aprilia 1000cc machine.

Prosecutor Sen-Constable Rick Ellin said that Mr Doggett would have to provide expert evidence that the camera was not operating properly.

Mr Doggett later told the Herald Sun he had been travelling more slowly than usual, because he had earlier seen the death of a motorcyclist who'd hit a road sign on the way to Phillip Island.

He said the accident had also triggered memories of the death of his father, hit by a car while crossing the road.

Also that day, motor racing legend Peter Brock had been remembered at the Grand Prix.

"There is just no way I was doing that speed. It's just unrealistic. I didn't do it," Mr Doggett said.

"I am usually a very confident motorcyclist, but that day I was shaken up. I was really upset about what happened.

"I saw the motorcyclist just one minute after it happened. I was travelling much slower."

Mr Doggett said he'd ridden home with a workmate who'd left him one intersection before the speed camera recording.

"I am not whingeing about speed cameras or calling them revenue-raisers," he said.

"I am a good person. I can't believe this is happening to me.

"I am going to look like an absolute disgrace."

Mr Doggett said trying to prove the camera was malfunctioning would be very difficult, because he could not get access to the operating manual for the type of camera used.

"It's impossible to get. Nobody is releasing it to the public, because they are protecting the cameras," he said. "The reality is, electronic equipment can malfunction.

"I have to outlay thousands (of dollars) to prove my innocence.

"I can't believe my whole livelihood is in the hands of a computer."

The case, before magistrate Brian Clifford, was adjourned to September.

Source: Herald Sun Natalie Tkaczuk Sikora May 30, 2007 12:00am
Courtesy of www.news.com.au