Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forget cameras

Administrator

Default Forget cameras

Forget cameras - spy device will cut drivers’ speed by satellite
    July 03, 2005
    Dipesh Gadher, Transport Correspondent

IT IS the ultimate back seat driver. Motorists face having their cars fitted with a “spy” device that stops speeding.
    The satellite-based system will monitor the speed limit and apply the brakes or cut out the accelerator if the driver tries to exceed it. A government-funded trial has concluded that the scheme promotes safer driving.

Drivers in London could be among the first to have the “speed spy” devices fitted. They would be offered a discount on the congestion charge if they use the system.

The move follows a six-month trial in Leeds using 20 modified Skoda Fabias, which found that volunteer drivers paid more attention as well keeping to the speed limit. More than 1,000 lives a year could be saved if the system was fitted to all Britain’s cars, say academics at Leeds University, who ran the trial on behalf of the Department for Transport (DfT).

It is part of a two-year research project into “intelligent speed adaptation” (ISA), which the department is funding at a cost of £2m. Results of the initial trial will be presented to ministers this week.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...678707,00.html
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Radar Fanatic

That's all well and good until you have someone flying up on your rear end that obviously won't be able to slow in time. Then what? Lawsuit for the maker of the device!

Newcomer

Good luck trying to pass someone on an undivided highway. I'd be sure to rip that thing out've my car if it happened here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tromping_Maniac
    Good luck trying to pass someone on an undivided highway. I'd be sure to rip that thing out've my car if it happened here.
    or you could get a GPS jammer :twisted:

Speed Demon

Anyone was wondering what will happen if this device bugs out and puts the pedal to the metal?

Radar Fanatic

I'm only barely comfortable letting my car control my speed when I set it myself. This kind of device would drive me out of my head. Break out the soldering irons...

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I'm only barely comfortable letting my car control my speed when I set it myself. This kind of device would drive me out of my head. Break out the soldering irons...
    Yeah, if they ever start putting these "forced limit" devices in cars, I'm disabling or throwing it out right away. But I'm sure some companies will figure it out, as in Japan... they have 180Kmph speed "limiters" which are disabled with $20-30 devices.

Professional

My Impala cuts out at 107mph, but that's easily defeated with a PCM flash.

Good Citizen

Sure a system like this would be easily defeated...

But what if the government subjects you to a fine for doing so?

I think this being an optional system for drivers that want it is a good idea, but instead of forcing you down to that speed, simply displaying an alert that you're over the limit would be more appropriate.

The article does mention that it can be overridden to avoid an accident, how I’m not sure. Maybe once it gets you to the limit you can be free to exceed it afterwards.

The article also says that over 1,000 lives a year could be saved… Where did they get that arbitrary number? There are no facts to support that. There are better ways to save lives on the road.

The old ‘Speed Kills’ adage is so ridiculous and this is just making it worse. Speed doesn’t kill. Drivers that disobey the laws of physics and don’t use common sense and adjust for conditions do.

This stuff really scares me.

Banned

"You will do what I tell you to do! Instead of switching to alternative energy sources to save gas I want all of you to install this pretty blue speed limitor chip to cut gas consumption by 15%. Obey me or die!"