Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default OPP wants planes and power to take your ride!

Fantino Says 50 Over Limit Should Be Considered Racing
    Tuesday June 26, 2007
    CityNews.ca Staff

It's an idea that's flown here before, and the OPP's commissioner wants to see it return as a way of combating speed demons on our roads.

Police planes are currently being used by Ohio authorities to help catch dangerous drivers, and on a recent trip to check out how the program works Commissioner Julian Fantino was impressed to see eight "high-end" speeders taken down by troopers in the span of 30 minutes with the plane's help. He thinks it'll be effective at catching speeders on Ontario roads by giving authorities eyes in the sky. The force has launched a feasibility study on the potential addition to the OPP.

"If you factor all those things in, as I think we should, this is a minimal expense, one that I think is cost-effective, but more so, it's very effective in terms of saving lives," Fantino said.

Should the plan be approved it wouldn't be the first time patrolling planes have flown overhead here - a similar plan ran in the province from 1965 to 1981. It was discontinued for reasons including cost.

Fantino also wants to get tough on speeding motorists by hitting them where it hurts - taking their cars away. He wants anyone caught traveling 50 kilometres or more over the speed limit to be considered a racer.

"I'm advocating that if you speed 50 kilometres over the speed limit, you're racing," Fantino said. "And then we should apply the racing laws to that and seize the vehicles and do whatever else is necessary. We have to stop all this."

Two teens face dangerous driving causing death charges in connection with an alleged street race on Highway 400 that ended up claiming the life of truck driver David Virgoe, a tragic case that prompted calls for tougher street racing penalties.

It's estimated that a plane could be leased for $200 an hour, while buying one outright would cost about $380,000.

pulse24.com

Good Citizen

bastards!

well atleast most of the time they will be flying over the 400 series. ****ty none the less

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ATS666
    bastards!

well atleast most of the time they will be flying over the 400 series. ****ty none the less
    Indeed, but would it come to reality? I dunno. Yes the OPP has a very big budget but they do have limits. They have changed their cars back to black and white which automatically costs more, plus they have eliminated "blitz'es"

Also air planes need allot of fuel, are expensive for insurance and maintenance and can only land on certain spots. Not to mention that after all of this, there is no guarantee that a ticket issued by tracking speed on the ground can hold up in court. There is just to much mathematical variables one has to take into account thus it is next to impossible to get an accurate reading.

However I am speculating here. I truly have no idea what will happen.

Yoda of Radar

50 kliks over the limit is automatically racing? They're basically admitting that they want to falsely accuse people of things just so they can charge them under laws that don't apply. The man should be fired.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by JDS
    50 kliks over the limit is automatically racing? They're basically admitting that they want to falsely accuse people of things just so they can charge them under laws that don't apply. The man should be fired.
    Indeed, I HATE that frigging guy!

Speedtrap Crasher

This car seizing thing is kind of tricky. A friend of mine got busted with cocain in his BMW and the state of Louisianna tried to confiscate it. When they found out how much the balance of the loan was he got his car back.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Radar Fanatic

Worst part about the airplanes, is that the OPP brass just got back from spending a few days with the Ohio state police, who showed them how they use their airplanes.

We all know about Ohio, and its ridiculous amount of enforcement. Makes me sick that Ontario couldn't find another state with reasonable enforcement (like Montana ) to study.

J/

What about equipping your car with a used SAM ....stop along the highway and shooooooooot .... seriously ...a good scanner/cb should do the job ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...180px-Sa-7.jpg

While ago with my Solo1 ...I tough I was safe ... then a team of 4 cruisers pulled us over contacted by a little Cesna....one guy with a Jaguar was the maddest of the group .

After all , the next step in enforcement is via satellites owned by a large corporation and rented to gvt on a kick-back by tickets .....

:cry:

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Eloi
    What about equipping your car with a used SAM ....stop along the highway and shooooooooot ....
    Now your talking! lol

seriously ...a good scanner/cb should do the job ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...180px-Sa-7.jpg

While ago with my Solo1 ...I tough I was safe ... then a team of 4 cruisers pulled us over contacted by a little Cesna....one guy with a Jaguar was the maddest of the group .

After all , the next step in enforcement is via satellites owned by a large corporation and rented to gvt on a kick-back by tickets .....

:cry:
    Shss! Don't say that, they already have black box'es in cars. I don't have a cb. But I do have a bearcat police scanner and a sun roof. Would those two things work?

A sunroof could give you that extra view to the sky. However I do not know what to listen to on the scanner if such patrol was to occur. Does anyone know what to listen for or what they would say?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i
    Worst part about the airplanes, is that the OPP brass just got back from spending a few days with the Ohio state police, who showed them how they use their airplanes.

We all know about Ohio, and its ridiculous amount of enforcement. Makes me sick that Ontario couldn't find another state with reasonable enforcement (like Montana ) to study.

J/
    Indeed,

The OPP went to Austrailia when the Aussies had spectra then brought it here.