Lead Foot

Default Police officer caught punching a handcuffed burglary (Video)

October 2, 2007 Braddock , Pa
    2 people were arrested and a police officer was put on administrative leave without pay following an alleged burglary overnight in Braddock.

The video shows the police officer punching a male suspect as the man is being led into a police vehicle early Tuesday morning.

Police said the man, who has not been identified yet, used a crowbar to break into a home through a rear window on Mills Avenue around 1:50 a.m.

Police also arrested a woman identified as the man's girlfriend, who they said served as a lookout for him at the house.

Neither of the suspects' names has been released yet, nor has the name of the officer who is seen in the video.

Braddock police have not commented about the video of the officer's punch. He is on leave pending an outside investigation.

While he stopped short of defending the officer's actions, Braddock Mayor John Fetterman said it was his understanding that the suspect was threatening the officer and may have been trying to spit on him.

"I'm certainly not going to excuse what is seen on tape, but I would ask everyone who views it to consider, perhaps, the context and maybe what had occurred up to that point," Fetterman said. "The officer is a human being just like the rest of us, and sometimes emotions can get the best of us."

Radar Fanatic
    Glencoe, Illinois

I don't know if I believe he punched him..Just because the guy in handcuffs didn't flinch or bend over due to pain...

CC, TX

the guy did react to being punched IMO although he didnt hunch over due to pain whos to say he doesnt have a high pain tolerance, a boxer or on drugs.

it seemed to me he probably said some comment that got the cop upset and got hit for it. he was also moved forcefully into the car after word unless the video was speed up.

Kaiserslautern, Germany

i cant believe this doesnt piss anyone else off. am i alone here?

he should get some pointers from maximalover