Police Patrolling Streets For Speeders

Read Comments
Post Comment

Two teenagers who died in a high speed crash Friday night will be remembered during funeral services Wednesday. As family and friends prepare to say goodbye, police are patrolling street where Ashleigh Mauseth and Artyom Koval died.

Police say they watched the stretch of Sycamore Avenue for speeders before the crash, but they've been monitoring it even more in the days since.

Sioux Falls police say they're not only going to be out in force on Sycamore, but other streets in the city known for speeders. Neighbors around the crash site say it's unfortunate it takes a tragedy to get people to drive more safely.

Flowers, signs and a message spray painted on Sycamore Avenue seem to be doing what a speed limit sign couldn't do before.

"I can totally tell people are going at least five miles under the speed limit. I don't know if they want to see what happened or look at the flowers," Sycamore Avenue resident Darcy Murphy said.

Murphy is a junior at Lincoln High School and lives just a few blocks from the crash site. She's one of many who have visited this memorial in the past few days. But along with the growing number of flowers and signs, she's also seen a growing number of police in the area.

"I think it's a lot better that they have cops patrolling because it's really easy to speed down here," Murphy said.

Lieutenant Jerome Miller says officers knew Sycamore was a street where people drove too fast before the accident. It's why Miller says the department is going to have a presence near the scene of Friday's accident and the other high speed areas in Sioux Falls.

"We're serious about this and we will write you a ticket if you're speeding on these roads cause it's very obvious that speed kills," Miller said.

Miller says the Sycamore avenue accident has raised awareness in other neighborhoods. People are calling police, asking them to crack down on speed in their areas as well.

"These people are saying I've been watching this in my neighborhood and I don't want that to happen over here, nor do we," Miller said.

Because no one wants to see more memorials serve as a reminder to slow down.

Police say they want people to watch their speed around the city but also wear seat-belts.