Hollywood Cops Get Tough On Aggressive Drivers

Carey Codd

(CBS4) HOLLYWOOD, FL. Aggressive and dangerous driving has reached epidemic levels in South Florida--people flying by you, speeding, weaving in and out of traffic.

We can tell you the cops in Hollywood and several other areas are out there, and Tuesday tonight CBS4 cameras caught a few people making it dangerous on the roads.

One car was doing 90 miles-per-hour.

"He swerved to miss that car in front of us," said one Hollywood Police Officer. "He's doing 93 now."

But his speed is about to hit zero, with the help of new vehicles acquired by the department to carry out traffic law enforcement, including Mustangs and Dodge Chargers.

Hollywood Police Officer Ryan Rillo caught the driver breaking several traffic laws and that means, "We will write him for driving aggressively."

This is what Hollywood police do every week: Patrol I-95 and city streets for aggressive drivers. They're in unmarked cars that can cruise, and this time they stopped Tim Bennet.

"I have a two week old baby at home and my wife is breaking my absolute (expletive) to have dinner," said Bennet.

Now he's really late for dinner, and could be fined up to $500 for driving aggressively.

"Aggressive driving is responsible for the majority of crashes involving serious injury."

And the reasons for it are the same reasons many people hate driving in South Florida. People are late; they're in a hurry, or they've got road rage. It creates a dangerous situation.

I've seen people on 95 doing 120...and weaving in and out of traffic during rush hour

These officers are out there doing what they can.

We'll let Tim Bennet tell you the moral of this story: "Slow down and make it home in one piece."

After writing tickets, the other part of their job for cops is teaching. They go into schools--especially around prom and graduation--to teach young people about staying safe.

If you want to learn if you are an aggressive driver or what to do if you encounter one Click Here

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)