In an effort to combat excessive speeding — which is the biggest cause of deaths and
accidents on our roads — we will introduce an extra 48 speed and red light cameras
, at a
capital cost of $9.5 million.
Other road safety initiatives to be delivered include:
• $4.3 million to implement a package of measures aimed at curbing the incidence of
driving under the influence of drugs;
• $3 million to expand the existing Rural Overtaking Lane program;
• $2.9 million for further rail safety-related upgrades at level crossings;
• $2.6 million for a heavy-vehicle compliance program; and
• $1.4 million to combat speeding on rural highways.
In addition, 300 new breathalyser units, 37 hand-held laser guns
for use in country areas and
16 sets of road spikes will be purchased to reduce the incidence of speed- and alcohol-related
trauma on our roads.