Police chiefs are calling on sites like YouTube to ban home-made videos of people speeding.

Officers in England and Wales say if websites won’t sort it out themselves, they want the government to introduce a law to stop it.

Adam Briggs, the Deputy Chief Constable of North Yorkshire Police, is meeting ministers next month to tackle the problem.

He said: “As gratuitous violence and inappropriate sexual scenes are displayed on the web, this kind of recklessness is something else we feel should be banned.”

Police crackdown

One in every four deaths on UK roads is someone under the age of 25, according to the road safety charity, Brake. Adam says these videos encourage more young people to speed and in turn, more young people to get killed.

He added: “I think the Government will listen as they’re just as concerned about the number of young people dying on the roads as we are.”

In Scotland, one force has already started cracking down on it. As Chief Inspector Alec Duncan’s officers are out on the roads in Fife, he scours YouTube.

He said: “Here’s a video of young lad with one hand on the steering wheel, the other on his mobile phone filming himself driving over 100mph in a built up area.”

Speeding warnings 'still ignored'

Newsbeat spent the night on traffic patrol with Fife Constabularly. They say if they can identify anyone in online speeding footage they will prosecute them.

Mr Duncan added: “What really scares me is how many people are doing this and not putting it on websites where we can find it.”

But not everyone’s taking the warning seriously. 18 year-old Mike lives in Kirkcaldy. He said he and his mates have filmed themselves driving over 100mph.

He said: “If the road’s clear I don’t see the real danger if you’ve got control of the car. If you know yourself you’re a good driver or you trust the driver then I don’t see there’s a real problem.”

No ban, says YouTube

YouTube says it won’t ban people from posting these sort of videos online, but if police want a video taken off the site, they should get in touch.

A spokesperson from the website said: "Footage like people driving fast in cars is commonplace on television, whether in real life programmes or in dramas and films. So this sort of content is not only found on the internet.

"Of course, if there is any illegal activity taking place or if the police think that a video may be evidence of a crime, then we encourage the police to get in touch with us under the laws the government introduced for disclosure of data."