Radar Fanatic

Default spec cameras record your speed over 28 mile road!

only foundout lastnight that in aryshire they have got the specs digital cameras which are plastered along a 28mile road at regular intervals!

just because there has been accidents but do they really know if all of those were caused by people exceeding the speed limit!

ROAD safety campaigners say they are confident today's launch of the longest speed trap in Britain will cut crash figures.

A string of cameras measures the time it takes cars to travel along a 28-mile stretch of road and then calculates their average speed. If drivers stray over the limit, they face penalty points and a fine.

The 775,000 system on the A77 between Ayr and Girvan is the first of its kind in Scotland. It is designed to cut deaths on the road which is one of the country's worst accident blackspots.

The cameras, dubbed "yellow vultures" because of their colour and the way they are perched on gantries, are poised to become even more controversial than the existing safety camera network, which raked in fines of more than 11 million last year.

The Speed Enforcement Camera System (Specs) consists of 40 banks of hi-tech cameras at points along the route. A smaller one in Nottingham netted 1 million in its first year, while one in London raised 84,000 in fines in three weeks. Strathclyde Speed Camera Partnership, which is operating the A77 scheme, says it will encourage drivers to slow down.

A spokeswoman said: "The idea is to reduce the number of accidents and fatalities. Speeds will be measured between 40 points spread out along the route.

"There will be a high-profile awareness campaign so that people know they should not be speeding along this stretch."

Lead Foot

:? Im glad there is no such thing in quebec 8)

Radar Fanatic

i am begining to wonder if the uk is the ukaraine because it certinley feels like it is sometimes.

the drivers are fruit cakes, the people are stupid, and a big percentage of drivers when questioned support speed cameras and would like tougher law for offenders!

just up the road a few miles away they are having a 400.000 safety thing they are spending 275000 on speed ramps on some roads!

they are all compaining of speeding cars and someones going to get killed etc it really annoys me that the local paper prints such nonsense when the local nhs trust is................. wait for it....... 10 million in the red! :x

they have also installed 10 new gatso speed cameras in the area, plus we have the safety camera partnerships on every major road in staffordshire!

yet we have never been paying so much is tax yet the only thing i see is it being wasted on utter rubbish!

they have no funds and are cancelling appointments, yet the councils can waste money.......

also on a local duel carrageways they have built a new roundabout and put a reduced speed limit up either 30 or 40.... and abit further down this same road they have also put new 60mph signs which has made the 40mph zone longer, they havent got the exstended limit in force yet but when i passed the signs i slowed from 60 to 40mph it was terrible, far too slow,

so now people will slow down for the 40mph and then speed up as its too slow for the road and people will end up going passed the gatso exceeding the speed limit in frustration and getting caught..

i cant go out of my area without seeing some speed camera sign or 9 gatsos.

its really awful on the uk roads!

Lead Foot

I have driven that road many many times and it is one of the most boring roads in the country.

and it's a fast road aswell. (if you know what i mean)

Newcomer

would a photo jammer license cover work against these cameras?

Radar Fanatic

the flash is infra red, and the camera is a automatic number plate reading one.

so possibley yes, but sprays and covers are illegal.