Radar Fanatic

Default ONTARIO-OPP AND ITS BRAND-NEW AIRCRAFT!!!

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=TorontoHome

OPP to use aircraft to track aggressive drivers
    toronto.ctv.ca

The Ontario Provincial Police is stepping up its campaign on aggressive drivers and will begin using a plane to track dangerous motorists on Highway 400, CTV News has learned.

The force has purchased a Cessna and will launch the eyes-in-the-sky initiative in mid-March, CTV Toronto's Paul Bliss reports.

The aerial enforcement will begin by targeting the stretch of busy highway between Toronto and Barrie.

A spotter and a pilot will be aboard the aircraft, which will allow police to relay information to interceptor cruisers on the ground.

White marker points have been painted every 500 metres along selected stretches of Highway 400, which will allow police to measure the speeds of moving vehicles.

The aircraft will eventually be equipped with infrared technology and a high-tech video camera to allow police to operate the plane day and night.

After the first phase of the project, the aircraft will patrol the most dangerous stretches of southern Ontario highways, as identified by police.

It has been 27 years since the force has had a plane in the sky full-time.

Police forces throughout Ontario have been cracking down on street racers and highway speeders since stringent legislation came into effect last fall.

Motorists caught travelling more than 50 km/h above the posted speed limit have had their vehicles impounded on the spot and licences suspended for a week. The drivers also face fines of between $2,000 and $10,000 if found guilty.

In the first three months after the law took effect on Sept. 30, more than 2,300 motorists had already been charged.

While men in their mid-20s to mid-30s are the most the most common culprits of aggressive driving, police statistics show motorists of all ages have been caught under the anti-racing legislation.

With a report from CTV Toronto's Paul Bliss

Good Citizen

The funny thing is they had a plane years ago, my uncle has the sign to prove it, and the program was shut down. I guess with Bill 203 the money is back in the system and they can afford to do it again.

Side rant: Did you here on the news that there was a 76 year old caught doing 50 over and the Mr. Nice Guy :roll: crown lowered the charge to 49 over......wonder if the car got towed and licence suspended for that one?????

Newcomer

Yeah I heard about that..it was all over the news here since the old man couldn't afford to pay that with this pension money. Don't know what happened after.

This anti-speeding legislation is acting out just as I thought...they are abusing their powers..2,300 motorists caught so far?? At $2,000 a pop that's 4.6 million!! in just 3 MONTHS!! What crap..all in the name of safety :roll:

Here in montreal, the city handed out 1.8 million tickets last year (a record)...that's 1 ticket for every child, baby,mother,father,kid, person in the city!!

So disgusted.

Good Citizen

I thought this was to "curb illegal street racing". But hey what do I know.
    It's funny that I haven't heard about....."and police have busted an illegal car racing club".....or "a quick acting officer has saved 10 people from being runover"...... How is this law being implemented as a "Street Racing" law.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_911
    Here in montreal, the city handed out 1.8 million tickets last year (a record)...that's 1 ticket for every child, baby,mother,father,kid, person in the city!!

So disgusted.
    I heard the guy who runs the ticket thing say (on a sound byte) on the radio "well yes but it is for safety since this year we had 10 less deaths on the road", the radio newsanchor said "well when was the last time a parking ticket saved anyone... now in other news"

Newcomer

The city can say anything they want as long as it ends with "...for public safety".

I look at it this way...if you have a class of students, and every student in that class fails the exam, who's to blame?

Now, they have been handing out tickets (speeding and such) for the last millions years and still no progress, think maybe the process is flawed?

Cuba will have democracy before they re-visit their pratices.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_911

Cuba will have democracy before they re-visit their pratices.
    Hiiii...oohhhh.

Good Citizen

Default Re: ONTARIO-OPP AND ITS BRAND-NEW AIRCRAFT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    OPP to use aircraft to track aggressive drivers
    toronto.ctv.ca
    I was wondering if it's illegal to paint a large, rude gesture on the roof of ones' car?!?!