WSLS News Staff
Published: March 7, 2008

Be careful how fast you drive on Interstate 81 this weekend.

Virginia State Police are conducting another “Operation Air, Land, and Speed” Sunday March 9th and Monday March 10th. They’ll be targeting Interstates 81 and 95.

In a news release, State Police note spring break begins this weekend for many of Virginia’s colleges and universities, as well as surrounding states. Troopers believe this means more traffic will be on the roads.

“In the first 10 weeks of this year 139 individuals have already lost their lives in traffic crashes on Virginia’s roads,” said Colonel W. Steven Flaherty, Virginia State Police Superintendent, in the news release. “That may be four fewer deaths than this time last year, but those are still 139 lives forever ended because of a driver’s careless and reckless actions,” Colonel Flaherty added.

The last “Operation Air, Land, and Speed” on I-81 and I-95 was back in October of 2007. State Police say that crackdown resulted in 6,352 summonses and arrests. Of that number, 3,091 were on I-81. The offenses included speeding, reckless driving, DUI, seatbelt violations, as well as drug and felony arrests.

State Police have done ten versions of “Operation Air, Land, and Speed” since 2006. The most recent was last month. That one targets I-77, I-85, and I-295.