Troopers to look for speeders in work zones
From Staff Reports
Monday, Apr. 21, 2008 11:08 am

State troopers will be looking out for speeders along major interstates in Guilford and Alamance counties this week as it cracks down on reckless drivers in work zones.

The Highway Patrol and the N.C. Department of Transportation will run Operation Drive Smart 2008 this week in some of the state's major work zones. The transportation department reported 3,478 work zone crashes that resulted in 18 fatalities and nearly 2,000 injuries in 2006. Speeding and driver distraction account for more than half of all work zone crashes.

The campaign will concentrate on speeding, aggressive driving and other traffic violations. Troopers will use motorcycles and marked and unmarked patrol vehicles along these routes:

* U.S. 17 Bypass in Bertie County
* I-95 in Cumberland County
* I-40 in Sampson County
* Clayton Bypass in Johnston and Wake counties
* I-85/I-40 in Guilford County and Alamance counties
* I-77 in Yadkin County
* I-40 in Davie County
* I-40 in Buncombe County

There are more than 200 major work zones statewide. However, all work zone locations for Operation Drive Smart 2008 are on interstate routes.

During Operation Drive Smart 2007, troopers issued more than 358 citations for speeding violations in work zones across the state. In addition, troopers also issued 188 motor carrier violations and 61 seat belt violations.

Motorists may report dangerous driving to the Highway Patrol by dialing *HP on their cellular phones.