Remote radar gun helps in Rockwell
Thursday, May 08, 2008 2:27 PM

ROCKWELL The Rockwell Police Department has a new weapon in its arsenal to combat speeding.

Police now have a handheld remote radar gun, courtesy of the N.C. Governor's Highway Safety program.

The device, valued at $1,800 will make it easier for Rockwell Police to check vehicle speeds around town. It's smaller than a loaf of bread.

Police Chief Hugh Bost said there are a lot of places in town where officers couldn't find a place to park and use the traditional radar devices.

Bost said speeding isn't a serious problem in town, but the effort to enforce the speed limits is paying off. "We have found that through speed enforcement, our traffic crashes have gone down drastically and the severity have also gone down drastically. When people slow down and drive like they are supposed to they are not nearly as likely to be injured (in a wreck)."

All of the town's five full time and most of the town's four part-time officers are certified in operating radar.

They will need additional training and certification for the handheld device.

For more on the radar gun including a photo of the presentation check the town's Web site at

Comments (7)

To D.Lewis : Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:42 PM

Where or who they eat with has nothing to do with them doing their job,maybe they were off work or on a dinner break. And as for S.Coffey beleave it or not speeding is a crime and is part of police work also

HIRING : Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:02 PM

Let's see? Police are constantly hiring new officers. Instead of complaining about your local police become part of the solution. Oh I yeah you don't want to police cause it does not pay well, or you might not make it home after keeping your city safe from the bad guys. Yes there are bad guys everywhere. Everyone bashes the police until they need the police. Give your local police (who wear bulletproof vest to their office everyday) a break. As far as the radar, Speed does and will kill. I wish all the officers, deputies, and troopers in my old home county the best. STAY SAFE

D. Lewis
: Thursday, May 08, 2008 6:46 PM

Another thing all the cops in Rowan County need to do is stop gathering together for meals. A couple of nights ago, several cops from the county and two different towns were ALL having diner at Sonic. This happens a lot all of the county, you can see it all the time. As for the speeders, they sometimes sit on Sides Rd catching people coming up the hill going east. What they need to do is to focus on the intersection of Sides and Palmer. They don't even look have the time, trust me, I live close by and see it EVERYDAY!

S. Coffey
Rockwell Radar : Thursday, May 08, 2008 6:17 PM

It is like most of these Rockwell and Granite Quarry police think that is their main job is to catch speeders. I would much rather see the money be spent on actually giving these people some formal training on basic police work , crime solving , etc. Everytime I come through Rockwell they look like a bunch of vultures just sitting there waiting for someone to speed a little. This is such a waste of tax payer money not having these so called officers actually doing some police work. Just my opinion...

: Thursday, May 08, 2008 4:26 PM

What they need to do is focus on there owen speed!Just to let you know two officers where sitting in Danny's parking lot A few months ago,my wife and I where traveling from hwy 152 on link hwy 52 and made A left at the STOP sign,she didn't come to A "complete" stop.I saw them sitting there and told her I wouldn't be surprised if they don't stop you"we continued on "looking in the rear view."We where all the way down at Consolidated Truck Parts when we saw the lights coming(you can see A car coming all the way back to city limits at night.)We where finally pulled at East Rowan High School(where they cought up with us) in the turning lane at the stop light(2-1/2 to 3mil.from Rockwell.)Figure out how fast the two officers where traveling to catch up with us if we were traveling 50mph and we were front of them when they pulled out?She didn't get A ticket,but there is alot of this kind of thing going on at night just so they can drive 100mph.After 10 years of driving A truck and coming thru town at all hours of the night"YOU SEE ALOT."This kind of thing is going on every where and needs to STOP!!Maybe instead of new radar they should invest in some computers to keep up with "officers" and there speed!!!!

: Thursday, May 08, 2008 12:23 PM

I think they need to watch 52 in front of the school, and then say speeding is not an issue in town. Its like playing frogger in real life in that area. The truckers barrel through town alot faster then the posted speeds on a daily basis.

Wise to the tricks
What? : Thursday, May 08, 2008 12:18 PM

Helps what or whom? The city coffers?