Speed camera bombing suspect blew off his hands
11:26AM Thursday May 29, 2008
PARIS - A French postal worker who blew his hands off while holding an explosive device is the chief suspect in last year's bomb attacks on speed cameras, the Paris public prosecutor's office said.
Frederic Rabiller, 29, was rushed to hospital early on Wednesday.
Investigators say they think he set up and was the only member of the group which claimed responsibility for the speed camera attacks in the Paris area last year. They are questioning neighbours and associates to find out if he had any accomplices.
French anti-terrorism services had launched an investigation into the self-styled Nationalist Revolutionary Army Faction (FNAR), which said it was behind about a dozen attacks on speed cameras.
"We are leaning towards the hypothesis that the FNAR consisted only of him," Paris prosecutor Jean-Claude Marin told reporters.
In the last recorded attempt, explosive experts managed to defuse a device close to the village of Baillet-en-France north of Paris before it exploded.