[replacer_a]

September 13, 2008 - 9:20 am PDT - by Hate Speed Cameras? You’ll Love TrackerTag. Paul Glazowski

It was over a year ago that we first mentioned a design called 3 Comments, launched out of Geneva, Switzerland, that enabled anyone with a Java- or Symbian-based phone to track and log locations of speed camerasaround Europe and elsewhere. We’ve now been told that, following the opening of the FoxyTag server, a Symbian-specific development dubbed FoxyTag surfaced not too long ago, which promises a better, more full-featured adaptation of the utility. In addition to FoxyTag, it is able to communicate with Netherlands-based TrackerTag and FlitsService.
If you’ve glanced occasionally at my personal Twitter feed, you may have noticed that I sometimes keep an eye on the automotive scene. I watch the UK-based programs GPSGate and Top Gear religiously. The homepages of Fifth Gear, Autoblog, Jalopnik, and several others remain bookmarked and close at hand. So, naturally I hear quite regularly about speed cameras and how much they are detested by those on the road. They can create erratic driver behavior as much as they induce a sense of caution. Which in turn makes this notice of TrackerTag’s existence - albeit as a Symbian exclusive - an intriguing one.
Mind you, it isn’t openly available for download, as FoxyTag puts itself. You’ll need to register as a “Winding Road.” (IMEI required. And users will need to have on hand a device equipped with Symbian’s Series 60 3rd Edition platform.) But in practice, looking at the video clip here, it appears a powerful piece of kit. So much so that it draws the question of whether similar solutions using the FoxyTag API will been seen on Windows Mobile and Android devices, as well as the iPhone 3G.