Lancashire police launch crackdown on accident blackspots
9:40pm Thursday 13th November 2008
Comments (1) Have your say »
By Sally Henfield »
POLICE have launched a two-month campaign to cut the number of people who are killed or seriously injured on the county’s roads.
Police will be focusing on accident blackspots, with more than 200 officers targeting irresponsible and dangerous drivers, especially younger people and motorcyclists.
Operation Pathway will see a series of action days involving officers from specialist units including road policing, neighbourhood teams, automatic number plate recognition units and uniformed patrol.
Last year 1,000 people were killed or seriously injured on Lancashire’s roads.
Up to and including September, the figure this year is at 718.
Eastern division has seen a worrying rise in road deaths this year – by September 12 people had lost their lives in car accidents, compared to a total of 13 for the whole of the previous year.
Lancashire Police’s Assistant Chief Constable Andy Cooke, who is heading up the operation, said proactive road policing took place on a daily basis.
He said: “Too many motorists and pedestrians are being killed on Lancashire’s roads and these deaths and serious injuries have a devastating effect on families.”
Chief Inspector Damian Darcy, eastern division, said: “Road collisions happen as a result of a driver error, whether that is through reckless and irresponsible driving or whether it is something a driver has failed to do.
“While much of this operation will be focussed on enforcing the rules of the road, it is also about encouraging people to alter the manner of their driving according to the conditions of the road."
The campaign will also target people who use mobile phones and who drive motorcycles dangerously or without sufficient protection.