Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Say goodbye to radar detectors

New laser speed gun will require drivers to upgrade

By Carl Burnett Jr.
    The Eagle-Gazette Staff
    Lancaster, Ohio

LANCASTER -- In the game of cat and mouse on the county's highways between speeders and deputies, the Fairfield County Sheriff's Office just got a larger mousetrap.

The new piece of equipment, a hand-held laser gun, will help local law enforcement keep up with quality of the detectors now being sold.

Local retailers say detectors still are hot selling items.

"We have a lot of customers who come into the store wanting to upgrade their detectors," said Jason Coch, sales representative with Best Buy in Lancaster.

Kyle Huber, store manager with Radio Shack in the River Valley Mall, said he sees a mix of people buying radar and laser detectors for the first time and some people upgrading their equipment.

"We sell detectors that range from $49.99 to $329.99 that detect both radar and laser technology," Huber said. "Many people are buying the new detectors as safety devices and not to get out of speeding tickets. Some alert people to approaching railroad crossings and when amber alert messages are on the highway signs. The detectors are sold to help drivers drive safer."

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com...s/2006962.html
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Old Timer

I dont get how that is any different then the laser guns that are already out...
    This new laser won't defeat the blinder or veil will it?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    I dont get how that is any different then the laser guns that are already out...
    This new laser won't defeat the blinder or veil will it?
    From the sound of the article, I don't think it's different from the laser guns that we normally see. I think that the article is just saying that it's a new device for that particular location. That whole "forced to upgrade" thing sounds like the talk of a reporter who just didn't understand the technology that he was writing about...didn't understand that radar detector doesn't really matter unless you use countermeasures. Not too surprising.

Good Citizen

It's no different than any other type of lidar gun. They even say that their guns use 900nm. The "new" means they just got it, not a new technology.

This is the "new" guns description of how it work (just like all the others).
    http://www.lasertech.com/howlaserswork.html

"For increased accuracy, our lasers process as many as sixty pulses in a single measurement period. Target acquisition times range from 0.3 to 0.7 seconds. Sophisticated error trapping algorithms are in place to ensure a reliable reading. "

The 0.3 to 0.7 seconds is plenty of time for the M-20 to start jamming with the correct code.

Founder of Stealthvation

No match for the Blinder baby!
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Manufacturer

Lest we not forget VEIL, now. :?
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

Mine gets here tomorrow. It's going to be a high of 66 and low of 45 on Tuesday and only 2 degrees cooler on Wednesday so I hope to apply it on Tuesday. Anything I need to buy in preparation?
    Richard

Manufacturer

All you may need is household ammonia and/or rubbing alcohol in case you want to remove it after it sets up.

We included everything you need to apply it.

We're getting a snow storm as I write this.

Make sure the headlights, etc or thoroughly cleaned before application of VEIL. Sometimes I used Windex, other times I just use water and paper towel.

...And, no precipitation in the next 24 hours. If so, you want to use a hair dryer to help the material cure/dry in an acclerated timely fashion.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Old Timer

how long will veil last in rainy weather?

Good Citizen

Will Viel make my plastic pitted headlights better looking? Will it fill in all the pits?