Pima County picks ten streets for speed cameras
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 02:57 PM
Updated: Jan 29, 2009 09:45 PM
Video Gallery

<1>

[replacer_a]

0:25

&lt;SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1'&gt;if (document.layers) {document.write('&lt;SCR' + 'IPT language=JavaScript1.1 SRC=/Global/ad.asp?type=single&amp;cls1=News&amp;src1=loc&amp; spct1=100&amp;sz1=wnsz_20&amp;callType=script /&gt;'); document.close();}&lt;/SCRIPT&gt;

Most Popular
Swarm of sharks close Florida beach (with video)
Tucson man missing from eastside home
Tucson looking for tax dollars, old and new

By Teresa Jun - Judge declares photo-enforcement law unconstitutional
Pima County has narrowed its list of sites for permanent photo radar enforcement systems to a final ten:
1. Valencia/Wilmot (1200 feet east of intersection)
2. Ina/Camino de Fosforo (west of Pima Canyon)
3. Ruthrauff/north of Romero at Calle Reina
4. La Canada near Duval Mine Road
5. South of Mission/Irvington near Nebraska
6. Swan/south of Calle Barrill near 4700 N. Swan
7. Valencia/Camino de la Tierra (750 feet west of intersection)
8. Alvernon/just north of Stationmaster
9. La Cholla/between Sunset and Fountains Ave.
10. 3100 E. River Road
"The big hope is that we raise public awareness, and that we decrease speeding," said Lindy Funkhouser, Pima County's Assistant County Administrator.
County leaders studied map plots to decide which corridors would get photo radar equipment. They narrowed the list to ten areas that, according to statistics, showed some of the highest number of car crashes and speeding tickets issued.
"I'm all for the (cameras)," said Gina Gibbons, who works at Pages in Progress, a scrapbook supply store on the northeast corner of La Cholla and River Road. She says speeding drivers pose a daily hazard during her commute. "It's a little scary. I feel that if you're going 11 miles per hour over the speed limit, you probably deserve a ticket."
But some drivers don't like the idea of more cameras on our local roads. "It's got too much of a Big Brother feel to me," said Deena Angeley, who criticizes the technology for being invasive, and primarily money-makers for local government. "Honestly, I'd rather see a cop car on the streets. I think that's a little bit more fair, and they're also there for multiple purposes, as opposed to just looking for speeders."
The county hopes to have the cameras installed by April.
The speed camera program will also include ten mobile systems.
The county expects to collect $1.5 million in revenue from traffic tickets issued by the cameras.