Speeding Crackdown Kicks Off Monday

POSTED: 1:41 pm EDT March 30, 2009
UPDATED: 1:47 pm EDT March 30, 2009
WINSTON-SALEM -- A law enforcement crackdown launched Monday is targeting speeders along North Carolina's major highways.The Operation Slow Down/No Need To Speed campaign will run through April 12."North Carolina law enforcement will be going after speeders who recklessly endanger our citizens," Gov. Bev Perdue said. "Speed is the leading cause of crashes on our highways. I urge motorists to slow down and obey the speed limit."Last year, 1,405 people were killed in traffic crashes on North Carolina highways with speed being the leading cause of the crashes, Perdue said.Dangerous driving can be reported to the Highway Patrol by dialing *HP on cellular phones from anywhere in the state.