Slow Down & Buckle Up, Easiest Ways to Avoid Police Attention By Sheeka Strickland FOX8 News June 21, 2009 GREENSBORO N.C. - Contrary to what you might see while driving, speed limit signs are not suggestions, like 'it'd be nice if you went this fast.' They're the law. In Greensboro, the police dept. has 20 officers as part of its traffic division. Their job is to keep a close eye on drivers who speed or make other moving violations. For almost 12 hours each shift, Officer Danielle Rasecke catches speeders. On Sundays, Rasecke drives her marked SUV around Greensboro's highways where the fastest speed limit is 65. It's amazing to see how many drivers pass her, often going faster than 80 MPH, even 90. "I'm not running right at the speed limit but people are still running a little bit past me," said Rasecke. "And I think she (a woman who passed her) just figured out." Safe driving is personal for Rasecke. Before joining the dept's traffic division, she and her two children were in a serious car accident. "I was in a five car pile up. I was number three in a line of five." A car going 55 MPH slammed into a stopped car behind her. The accident totaled her car and two others and sent Rasecke and her two children to the hospital. "I don't like going to accidents where people die, and I don't like seeing those types of things everyday," she said. That's why Rasecke and other officers focus on seatbelt violations and speeding through school zones, the subject of many citizen complaints. "Our jobs not to go out there and make everybody miserable," said Rasecke. "It's just to go out there and make it a little safer place to drive." Rasecke said she writes between 20 and 30 tickets a day. She also wanted you to know "quotas" for the number of tickets written is illegal in North Carolina. Copyright © 2009, WGHP-TV