Extra State Police Patrols Today on I-90, I-86

Posted By: a a 3 hrs ago

New York State Police are stepping up patrols along the I-90 and I-86 corridors as part of what's being called the "Tri-State Summer Initiative."
Troopers from New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and U.S. Border Patrol agents will be on the lookout for drivers who are speeding, not wearing seatbelts, talking on their cell phones, or driving while intoxicated.
The 12-hour safe driving blitz will also include commercial vehicle enforcement.
"Suffice it to say we'll be in a stationary mode, movement mode. We'll have marked vehicles, unmarked vehicles. There's going to be a wide stretch of roadway. I don't want to give exactly the target area, but it's going to be a wide area, so we can remove those people from the roadway that are menaces to others," said Captain Michael Nigrelli, Troop T commander in Buffalo.
Saturation patrols will include Interstates 80, 90, 79, and 86 in Pennsylvania and Interstates 80 and 90 in Ohio.
Wednesday marks phase two of the initiative. Participating agencies kicked off the initial effort on May 13th. Troopers from all three states issued a total of 419 tickets for speeding and other violations.
New York State Police issued 64 tickets for speeding along I-90 and I-86 during the last 12-hour crackdown. They also wrote 93 tickets for other violations.