Yoda of Radar

Default "Aggressive Driving" Deconstructed

Road Rage and How to Avoid It

Peterson is the chairman of a Michigan State Police committee on driver behavior, so he studies the issue closely.

Peterson finds a sharp contrast between his experience and the recent Affinion survey.

"We find that aggressive driving is not normally the result of distracted drivers," said Peterson. "It is usually the result of some environmental or engineering issue related to the physical roads where aggressive driving occurs."

Peterson stated and presented data to support that major contributors to aggressive driving include: speed limits that are too low for the road, traffic congestion, poorly timed traffic lights, and stop signs placed to lower speeds. These act as instigators to drivers speeding, changing lanes, and tailgating; all characteristics of "aggressive" driving.

Peterson explained that changes made to roadways where aggressive driving occurs reduce incidents of aggressive driving. As proof, Peterson pointed to changes made on a section of I-496 outside of Lansing, Michigan. At one point, this road accounted for 40-percent of reported incidents of aggressive driving within a particular county. When the speed limit was raised from 55 mph to 70 mph, incidents of aggressive driving dropped to zero.

"The low speed limit frustrated many drivers, so they drove over the speed limit," said Peterson. "This caused problems for other drivers who were driving at the speed limit. The speed differential caused the tailgating, passing, and speeding that were reported as 'aggressive' driving."

Data proved that accident rates also fell when the speed limit was raised on that section of highway. Surprisingly, the faster limit increased traffic volume, nearly eliminating all symptoms of rush hour traffic.

Good Citizen

Default Re: "Aggressive Driving" Deconstructed

That's one Peterson I'd get behind.

Speed Demon

Finally, someone with some sense.

Old Timer

I've only got one word to say:

Yup.

Finally, someone with some sense!

-----

I'm fond of asking why the HELL it is that our lawmakers, in designing roadways and traffic legislation, fail the simple cardinal rules of both being a good pet owner and a good parent: to set reasonable and logical limits, to use positive reinforcement, and to, when the rules are broken, enforce in a consistent manner.

The way we enforce traffic laws now, it's as if though a little murder, a little rape, a little stealing, would be just fine, too.

OK, rant over.
    Last edited by TSi+WRX; 07-17-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

according to the original article, the US city with the most courteous drivers is
    Portland, Oregon
    small wonder I'm such a pleasant sort . . .

Lead Foot

according to the original article, the US city with the most courteous drivers is
    Portland, Oregon
    That's cuz their brains are rusty from all the rain!

I know, I grew up in Oregon.

Radar Fanatic

Good article, sounds like they are going crazy in the South East part of the state around Detroit, with laser and I/O trying to raise as much revenue as humanly possible. This guy sounds like he has some sense, unfortunately there is no place in the State of Michigan for a government employee that has sense. He will be fired and exiled from the state shortly.

Thank you Lieutenant Peterson, finally a little common sense thinking in place of the usual media / political induced hype.

BC

Speed Demon

Now if they did with with the other 55 zones... and made 70 zones 80 zones... hell, I'd probably never go more than 5 over the limit