Experienced

Default IL--Chicago cops can shoot at fleeing cars!

Chicago cops can shoot at fleeing cars if the driver is suspected of committing a felony.

This is absolutely preposterous.

I'll put the over/under at 2.5 innocent bystanders being wounded by stray bullets OR 1 innocent bystander being killed by stray bullets before this policy is reversed.

Experienced

Default Re: IL--Chicago cops can shoot at fleeing cars!

Now there's something to look forward to! I won't have to go to the movies to see car chases and gun fights anymore....just turn on the nightly news!

Yoda of Radar

Been going on for a very long time in the South. Texas, South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas... they don't mess around. They'll blow your tires out in a heartbeat. I don't believe I have ever heard of an innocent bystander being hit in such a scenario. I don't have a problem with such a policy. There's equal danger in allowing an armed maniac to continue his rampage unchecked. But you gotta be smart about it, just like any other time you use deadly force.

If you think about it, you take the same chance anytime you PIT an offender's vehicle. You run the risk of him crashing into an innocent person or persons and killing them. But again, I don't think I've ever heard of that happening because, luckily (and surprisingly), officers seem to be utilising good judgement.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

The city of Chicago has the third highest population density of any city in the country. Such a policy may make sense in Toad Suck, Arkansas but in my opinion, it does not make quite as much sense on Michigan Avenue...

The article (obviously not the formal legislation or municipal code) simply states 'suspected of committing a felony'. That's staggeringly overbroad.

Cheat on your taxes? That's a shootin'.

31 grams of marijuana? That's a shootin'.

Bad check for greater than $300? That's a shootin'.

Etc.

Yoda of Radar

Good point. The fact that this was only Chicago somehow flew over my head. I had the IL part stuck in my mind.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Yoda of Radar

Assuming of course that this policy is only in effect in situations where the LEOs witness the suspect committing some sort of violent felony (or committing something like grand theft or breaking & entering...is there a term that encompasses those too, while excluding things like financial crimes?)...I think this is great. Police should be shooting at violent criminals if they try to flee. Of course the police need to exercise the same judgment and discretion that ANYBODY needs to exercise when operating a firearm; the basic safety rules (such as "never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to shoot" and "always know what's behind your target") should prevent problems if they are followed. The only difference between Podunk, Alabama and downtown Chicago is that the basic rules of firearm safety will more often prevent LEOs from taking a shot.

Of course, if this is a case of shooting at people for bouncing checks, then I agree that the whole idea is insane.

Radar Fanatic

I think the cops should be able to take a shotgun and blow out somebody's tires. Wish they would get more aggressive, the south side of Chicago is ridiculous. I normally don't ever go to that side of town when I am in Chicago, but got turned around one time and got into some bad neighborhoods. Made Gary, IN look like a safe city, another place cops should be able to open fire on fleeing vehicles. Wish they would do more about drugs, and violent crime and forget giving out dumb speeding tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    I think the cops should be able to take a shotgun and blow out somebody's tires. Wish they would get more aggressive, the south side of Chicago is ridiculous. I normally don't ever go to that side of town when I am in Chicago, but got turned around one time and got into some bad neighborhoods. Made Gary, IN look like a safe city, another place cops should be able to open fire on fleeing vehicles. Wish they would do more about drugs, and violent crime and forget giving out dumb speeding tickets.
    Chicago's problem is they ban law abiding citizens from owning hand guns so only the criminals have them. and the state of IL does not allow CCW's so again only criminals in this state can carry guns since they don't obey laws.

politicians turn a blind eye to it all and pass these silly feel good laws thinking they are doing something.
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    Chicago's problem is they ban law abiding citizens from owning hand guns so only the criminals have them. and the state of IL does not allow CCW's so again only criminals in this state can carry guns since they don't obey laws.

politicians turn a blind eye to it all and pass these silly feel good laws thinking they are doing something.
    I agree people should be able to carry a gun if they are a law abiding citizen.

Power User

I can see it now, cops shoot and kill driver of fleeing car, car crashes into bustop killing several innocent peds.