Newcomer

Default Kustom Eagle withdrawn in NSW ?

Hi all,
    I am hearing snippetts of news that an appeal against the Kustom Eagle radar used in NSW has been successful, and as a result the radar has been withdrawn from use.
    Does anyone have any hard information?
    Cheers
    PDR

Power User

I doubt it, they have been using those for years.

Wont be long before Ka is used

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Where is NSW?

Newcomer

Hi again all.
    NSW is the most populous state in Australia, with Sydney as the capital.

I understand there are doubts as to the efficiency of Ka radar here, and maybe even some issues regarding the frequency being approved for use bt the Govt agency that controls the electromagnetic spectrum use.

Anyway, I found this news article so all is revealed, and its good news for motorists in Australia......................................... .......
    It is from the Sydney Morning Herald, Sat Nov 5.

Ticketed driver lands police radar traps in a fine mess
    By Robert Wainwright November 5, 2005

When Jerry Simotas challenged a $160 speeding fine in May last year he had no idea it would cost him $15,000 in legal fees or that it might make him the champion of everyone who has copped an "unfair" fine.
    Evidence before his landmark case held at Goulburn has cast doubt over the accuracy and maintenance of all hand-held radar guns used by NSW Police and, potentially, the validity of thousands of speeding tickets issued in the past 12 years.
    A "voir dire" examination of evidence last week challenged not only the competence of the police officer in charge of maintaining the radar guns but also whether the guns' annual tests met national standards.
    In the wake of the hearing, and its adjournment to February, the magistrate, Roger Prowse, suggested Mr Simotas's lawyers "make representations" to police to drop the charge he was doing 133kmh in a 110kmh zone on the Hume Highway at Jugiong, 40 kilometres north of Gundagai.
    But the ramifications of the case may be too great for the police to be found wanting.
    At the centre of the argument is not how often police recalibrate their radar guns for accuracy (at least once a year, according to the manual) but how rigorously they check and whether the process even passes scientific scrutiny.
    According to documents and evidence presented in court, police have certified the US-made Kustom Silver Eagle gun as accurate each year even though half of the possible 18 tests - which cover issues such as temperature, vibration stability, noise and phone interference, and humidity - were never done.
    The problems, which police will not concede, have the potential to shake the validity of all tickets issued on the basis of the guns.
    The traffic services commander, Chief Superintendent John Hartley, said he could not answer questions put by the Herald because the case had not finished. However, he had full confidence in the guns' accuracy, insisting they were certified properly every six months.
    Mr Simotas's barrister, Michael Maxwell, said the testing procedures of the radar engineering unit fell short of standards required by the National Association of Testing Authorities. It meant they could not prove the radar guns were accurate.
    Documented evidence also showed that the radar guns emitted radiation, or power density, above the legal limit and were a potential health hazard to those who used them. "I'd be very concerned about the radiation emissions. I understand that it was the reason that Queensland police refused to use these units in 1994," Mr Maxwell said.
    "In terms of accuracy, our expert, who is an electronics engineer, showed that police had only ever done half the tests required by the manufacturer. In at least one instance, he wasn't even aware of the test."
    Mr Simotas admitted to having copped a few fines - "nothing too serious" - but said he was a victim of inaccurate equipment: "It's not the cost of the ticket because you wouldn't spend $15,000 to save $160. I know I wasn't speeding because I was watching the odometer."

Newcomer

Default Red rag waved at Radar Bulls - Rich idiot stirs trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Suddenlee
    Hi again all.
    NSW is the most populous state in Australia, with Sydney as the capital.

I understand there are doubts as to the efficiency of Ka radar here, and maybe even some issues regarding the frequency being approved for use bt the Govt agency that controls the electromagnetic spectrum use.

Anyway, I found this news article so all is revealed, and its good news for motorists in Australia......................................... .......
    It is from the Sydney Morning Herald, Sat Nov 5.

Ticketed driver lands police radar traps in a fine mess
    By Robert Wainwright November 5, 2005

When Jerry Simotas challenged a $160 speeding fine in May last year he had no idea it would cost him $15,000 in legal fees or that it might make him the champion of everyone who has copped an "unfair" fine.
    Evidence before his landmark case held at Goulburn has cast doubt over the accuracy and maintenance of all hand-held radar guns used by NSW Police and, potentially, the validity of thousands of speeding tickets issued in the past 12 years.
    A "voir dire" examination of evidence last week challenged not only the competence of the police officer in charge of maintaining the radar guns but also whether the guns' annual tests met national standards.
    In the wake of the hearing, and its adjournment to February, the magistrate, Roger Prowse, suggested Mr Simotas's lawyers "make representations" to police to drop the charge he was doing 133kmh in a 110kmh zone on the Hume Highway at Jugiong, 40 kilometres north of Gundagai.
    But the ramifications of the case may be too great for the police to be found wanting.
    At the centre of the argument is not how often police recalibrate their radar guns for accuracy (at least once a year, according to the manual) but how rigorously they check and whether the process even passes scientific scrutiny.
    According to documents and evidence presented in court, police have certified the US-made Kustom Silver Eagle gun as accurate each year even though half of the possible 18 tests - which cover issues such as temperature, vibration stability, noise and phone interference, and humidity - were never done.
    The problems, which police will not concede, have the potential to shake the validity of all tickets issued on the basis of the guns.
    The traffic services commander, Chief Superintendent John Hartley, said he could not answer questions put by the Herald because the case had not finished. However, he had full confidence in the guns' accuracy, insisting they were certified properly every six months.
    Mr Simotas's barrister, Michael Maxwell, said the testing procedures of the radar engineering unit fell short of standards required by the National Association of Testing Authorities. It meant they could not prove the radar guns were accurate.
    Documented evidence also showed that the radar guns emitted radiation, or power density, above the legal limit and were a potential health hazard to those who used them. "I'd be very concerned about the radiation emissions. I understand that it was the reason that Queensland police refused to use these units in 1994," Mr Maxwell said.
    "In terms of accuracy, our expert, who is an electronics engineer, showed that police had only ever done half the tests required by the manufacturer. In at least one instance, he wasn't even aware of the test."
    Mr Simotas admitted to having copped a few fines - "nothing too serious" - but said he was a victim of inaccurate equipment: "It's not the cost of the ticket because you wouldn't spend $15,000 to save $160. I know I wasn't speeding because I was watching the odometer."
    What exactly is the good news? Are they removing all radar from use in New South Wales? What will they use instead? They might get something deadlier like the Stalker Duals (radar) not to be confused with the Stalcar (RDD).

When did these challenges ever achieve anything? Let em use what they like as long as we can fight back with a fully undetectable detector with top range and few false alarms.

15 grand to avoid a 160 buck speeding fine. What an idiot? A rich idiot!!!

Saw the article in the Sydney Morning Herald. Check out his excuse.

Yeh sure, he was watching the speedo at the precise time the radar recorded his speed. Don't we all?

Guess who backed up this guy in court? Roy Zegers!!! The guy obviously didn't have one of Roy's $1,900 Stealth Valentines otherwise he would not be in court in the first place. Well, fair comment?

Administrator
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Yoda of Radar

I love the avatar, Roy!