Radar Fanatic

Default West Virginia State Police - Sobriety Checkpoints

West Virginia: West Virginia State Police to conduct sobriety checkpoints

West Virginia State Police to conduct sobriety checkpoints

November 20, 2009

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - West Virginia State Police will conduct sobriety checkpoints from Saturday, Nov. 28, at 9 p.m. through Sunday, Nov. 29, at 3 a.m.

The checkpoint will be at one or both of the following locations:

• U.S. 11 south at the intersection with Shenandoah Street, in front of Club Zero and Tri-County Rentals.

Alternate routes of travel are Interstate 81 when approaching from the north and south, W.Va. 9 and Wheatland Street when approaching from the north, and Tablers Station Road and Lawn Street when approaching from the south.

• U.S. 11 south at the intersection with Mineral Drive in front of Musselman High School.

Alternate routes will be W.Va. 51 east, W.Va. 51 west and Henshaw Road.

For more information, call 1st Sgt. E.D. Burnett of the West Virginia State Police at 304-725-9779.

Power User

Default Re: West Virginia State Police - Sobriety Checkpoints

Those checkpoints are right by the jail, convenient. I'm surprised they are not operating later than that since last call is 3:30am in West Virginia.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal View Post
    Those checkpoints are right by the jail, convenient. I'm surprised they are not operating later than that since last call is 3:30am in West Virginia.
    Yea I thought about that as well, most people are going to be leaving the bars around 3am, and they will be shutting it down...kinda pointless if you ask me.

Power User

I made a slight mistake, not last call at 3:30am, but all drinks have to be finished by 3:30am and taken away. I haven't been out there in several months so I forgot.

Radar Fanatic

I made a slight mistake, not last call at 3:30am, but all drinks have to be finished by 3:30am and taken away. I haven't been out there in several months so I forgot.
    Not sure about the entire state of WV, but I bounce at Chasers & Dreams a bar in Morgantown, WV and we close at 3am. At that point we start kicking everyone out. I think it's 3am everywhere in Morgantown. Bars of Morgantown - Nightlife, Bars, Dining Guide for Specials & Upcoming Events If you check that site and click on the bars, most of them have their hours listed and they all close at 3am.

Power User

I've been to bars in the eastern panhandle of WV. Places like Martinsburg, Charles Town. Those are in Jefferson and Berkeley counties and the drinks have to be gone at 3:30am and they kick people out. From memory it is 3:30am every night except for Sunday night they pick the drinks up at 3am instead. This is the same area the cops have posted their checkpoint on a Saturady which ends at 3am. Kinda of strange that they will miss all the people that stay at the bars until the end, 3:30am.

Side note: I know that in the stores in WV you can buy beer and wine until 2am (i've done that at 1:55am and the cashier told me I just made it) and you can buy liquor until 12am.

Power User

Actually, I just found the WV rules. WV is weird, you can drink later on Friday night than on Saturday night. And you can't buy liquor on Sunday, Christmas, and election days apparently.

http://www.abca.wv.gov/enforcement/D...0Operation.pdf

Here is what it says about Saturdays and Sundays: Sales/Consumption cease at 3:00 a.m.
    Premises cleared by 3:30 a.m.

Here are the rules for all weekdays: Sales/Consumption ceases at 3:30 a.m.
    Premises Cleared by 4:00 a.m.

So it is still weird that the WV police would stop their checkpoint at 3am on Saturday when people can stay in the club until 3:30am.

Radar Fanatic

Actually, I just found the WV rules. WV is weird, you can drink later on Friday night than on Saturday night. And you can't buy liquor on Sunday, Christmas, and election days apparently.

http://www.abca.wv.gov/enforcement/D...0Operation.pdf

Here is what it says about Saturdays and Sundays: Sales/Consumption cease at 3:00 a.m.
    Premises cleared by 3:30 a.m.

Here are the rules for all weekdays: Sales/Consumption ceases at 3:30 a.m.
    Premises Cleared by 4:00 a.m.

So it is still weird that the WV police would stop their checkpoint at 3am on Saturday when people can stay in the club until 3:30am.
    It's pretty annoying that you can't buy liquor on sundays. You just have to get it all saturday and save some. I live down the street from Chevron at school and they still sold us 40's and 30 packs at 330am a couple of weekends ago. Either the laws have been changed or no one really abides by them. Back on track yea the dui checkpoint in my opinion is a FAIL.

Professional

Or course if they were really interested in catching drunk drivers they would be doing a directed patrols.
    Last edited by Asleeper; 11-24-2009 at 10:19 PM.