Sheriff Using Website to Slow Speeders

Updated: Wednesday, 25 Nov 2009, 6:39 PM CST
Published : Wednesday, 25 Nov 2009, 6:39 PM CST

Travis County Sheriff deputis are using a new website to slow down drivers. allows anybody to add speed trap locations.
There are more than 100 locations in Austin according to their trap map but a few months ago deputies started adding their enforcement locations to give drivers a heads up.
"Our job is compliance, so if I can slow traffic down by just being there, that works too," said Deputy Tom Carpenter.
On Wednesday Carpenter and his partner were doing traffic enforcement at Southwest Parkway and Highway 71.

Before they started writing tickets, they added the location to the trap map but few of the drivers pulled over knew it was there.
"Oh shoot! I wasn't aware I was going over the speed limit," said Austin driver Sharon Swan. launced in 2007 but online traffic boomed late last year when an I-phone application was added.
Now the site will send alerts to your cell phone when you're about to approach a speed trap.
The website is free to use but officers don't recommend viewing it while you're driving because it can be a distraction