State Police Make 400 Stops in November as Part of sTEP Program in Winn. Co.

State Police Make 400 Stops in November as Part of sTEP Program in Winn. Co.

Pecatonica, IL – The I.S.P. District 16 announced today enforcement figures for the recent s.T.E.P. (special Traffic Enforcement Patrols) wave conducted between November 1st and November 30th, 2009 in Winnebago County.

STEP patrols were conducted at the following locations I-39, I-90, US Rt 20, Illinois State Highways and local roads. Enforcement figures totaled 362 arrests and 48 written warnings, including 220 arrests for speeding. I

In addition, 1 individual was charged with a drug-related offense. Twelve persons were cited for driving without a valid driver’s license, and 5 were taken into custody for being wanted on an outstanding warrant. There were also 97 citations issued for failure to wear a safety belt. Slowing down, observing the speed limit saves lives and helps fuel economy. In addition, safety belts are the most effective safety devices in vehicles today, estimated to save over 15,000 lives each year.

The s.T.E.P. program involves a combination of increased enforcement and community education designed to raise public awareness and compliance with all traffic laws. A special emphasis was placed on speeding, failure to wear a safety belt, DUI, and other alcohol-related offenses in areas that experience the highest level of traffic problems.

As a part of the “Click It or Ticket” campaign, s.T.E.P. is funded through a grant from the United States Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The grant is administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation, Division of Traffic Safety.