North Royalton says no to installing cameras

By [replacer_a]

December 18, 2009, 11:53AM

NORTH ROYALTON -- Talk of installing traffic cameras that would track, and ultimately ticket, speeders is speedily coming to a halt.
Installing the cameras was recently mentioned in passing at a November Safety Committee meeting and the majority of resident response has been negative, said Mayor Robert Stefanik.
Neighboring communities with budget issues have discussed installing traffic monitoring devices, said Director of Community Development Thomas Jordan.
“Cameras have been a big issue for many communities,” he said. “In Cleveland, the cameras are fining a bunch of commuters. By the locations, it is clear that is what the cameras are doing.”
The tracking tactic does not appear to sit well with the administration.
“Personally, I don’t think there is a need for speed cameras in North Royalton,” Stefanik said. “I would be against us looking at this issue any further. We have cell phone legislation looming. Speed cameras is starting to over legislate, I think, and forgetting what we’re here for.”
The efforts of the police department keep speed in check.
“We have a fine police department with our traffic control motorcycle officers who do a great job of keeping speed down on the streets,” Stefanik said. “I think we are doing a fine job right now in controlling the speed in the city.”
Contact Macho at (216) 986-6066.