Radar Fanatic

Thumbs up Virginia State Police: Unit Strictly Tracks Sex Offenders

Virginia state police monitor registered sex offenders - WTKR

Virginia State Police Monitor Registered Sex Offenders

By Peter Dujardin
    January 24, 2010

PHOTO//Virginia State Senior Trooper J. Steven Pruitt of the Virginia State Police verifies the homes of sex offenders in Hampton on Monday, Jan. 11. Pruitt is part of a small unit that keeps tabs on about 6,100 sex offenders statewide, including 1,478 in Hampton Roads.

HAMPTON - Senior Trooper J. Steven Pruitt pulls his unmarked State Police cruiser to the side of a Hampton street, parking across from a modest home with a pickup truck out front.

He dons his wide-brimmed state trooper's hat, grabs a clipboard and a set of business cards from the dash, and walks across the street. An older man answers Pruitt's knock, followed by a brief, polite exchange. The man — convicted of forcible sodomy a few years back but now out of prison — is a registered sex offender.

Read full story by clicking link. I actually applaud VSP for this. Beats issuing speeding tickets.

Professional

Default Re: Virginia State Police: Unit Strictly Tracks Sex Offenders

Me thinks the once great Confedrate State of Virginia has WAAAY too many State Troopers on the tax-generated payroll!
    :

Banned

What does the Confederacy have to do this this?

I find it refreshing to see police.... actually doing police work!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    What does the Confederacy have to do this this?
    I've only been in Virginia once and that was to visit some of the Civil War Nat'l Park Battlefields there. Virginia once held the great Confederate Capitol, Richmond.
    From what i've been reading on this site, presen day Virginia sadly has morphed into an over-policed State.
    I find it refreshing to see police.... actually doing police work!
    Checking up on to intimidate ex-felons who served their time IMO is a waste of police resources with their typical good wages and pension plans which the tax payer has to support in perpetuity. How many active file or old felony crimes are going un-solved in Virginia?
    This sort of thing might be better handled by parole or social workers who if they suspect something, then can enter the police if required
    :

Banned

I disagree with the premise of the article, that its a waste. 95% of traffic enforcement is a waste, imho. Cops have good instincts with criminals/ex-cons, probably much better than social workers.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    I disagree with the premise of the article, that its a waste. 95% of traffic enforcement is a waste, imho. Cops have good instincts with criminals/ex-cons, probably much better than social workers.
    Assuming a lot of social workers are women, ever hear of that infamous women's intuition? ...they'll notice any kind of trivial little minute detail thing that us guys wouldn't even see, and if we did, we'd probably care less?
    :

waste of tax dollars.

they have done their time, why do they need to be checked up on? do we check up on every felon that is released from prison?
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
    waste of tax dollars.

they have done their time, why do they need to be checked up on? do we check up on every felon that is released from prison?
    Very true, the main reason I posted this is because I am glad VSP sent officers out to actually do real police work, versus sitting on the highways writing speeding tickets. I don't care about other convicted felons, except for sex offenders, especially child sex offenders. They are the lowest people out there in my book, lower then murderers.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedUp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
    waste of tax dollars.

Very true, the main reason I posted this is because I am glad VSP sent officers out to actually do real police work, versus sitting on the highways writing speeding tickets. I don't care about other convicted felons, except for sex offenders, especially child sex offenders. They are the lowest people out there in my book, lower then murderers.
    A felon who served his time is a 'known' felon and an ex-felon. Some revert back and some go straight! To have State Troopers 'visit' these people to intimidate is a complete waste of tax payers dollars especially considering the large amount of felony crimes which are going un-solved.

Wouldn't it be better to have these troopers tracking down and capturing felons still at large who probably will commit more crimes than spending time and tax dollars intimidating ex-felons who served their time? Leave the follow up intimidations to the social workers if deemed necessary.
    :