Radar Fanatic

Default Kentucky State Police: Operation Toward Zero Deaths

Kentucky moves to lower highway death toll - 14 News, The Tri-State's News and Weather Leader-

Kentucky Moves To Lower Highway Death Toll
    Posted: Feb 19, 2010 5:34 PM EST
    Updated: Feb 19, 2010 5:41 PM EST

By Cory Stark
    Posted by Rich Miller

HOPKINS COUNTY, KY (WFIE) - One traffic death is too many and the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety has launched a new campaign to save lives.

Last year there were 792 deaths on Kentucky roadways.

The "Toward Zero Deaths" campaign is a collaborative effort with emergency services, law enforcement, engineering and education.

Statistics show in 2009 there were nearly 200 fewer fatal crashes than in 2005. To keep that number going down, the Office of Highway Safety will be working closely with local law enforcement and increasing driver education programs.

"I'm pleased that our highway fatalities have decreased for five consecutive years," said Gov. Steve Beshear. "However, there is still work to be done. Even one fatality is too many. This plan ensures that everybody is at the table to make sure we are doing everything we can to reduce these serious crashes. If just one life is saved through this effort, it will have been worth it."

Click link to read the full story, and watch video.

W. KY

Default Re: Kentucky State Police: Operation Toward Zero Deaths

The last sentence of the news article says it all:

"The state will also be using federal stimulus dollars to help local police departments increase their traffic enforcement."

More tickets = more money for the coffers. They always preach how it's all about safety, but everyone knows that is B.S. If it were true, then why is riding a motorcycle without a helmet legal in KY, but when I'm rolling down the road in the wife's van with front crumple zones, side impact beams, 8 airbags, etc, etc, they can give me a ticket for not wearing my seat belt??? Safety my behind.

Default Re: Kentucky State Police: Operation Toward Zero Deaths

Yeah, safety my a$$!
    They won't be happy until we have government radio controlled governors on our engines to limit speeds to the PSL, helmets while driving, mandatory rollbars, flight suits while driving, yada yada!
    AND they will still find ways to write revenuing tickets!

Further, our federal government is broke, very broke, so why in the hell are they giving grants to States these days for traffic enforcement?

Can you say auto insurance lobbyist payola to Congressman!