Speeding motorists disappoint police - Operation Safe Arrival

24 December 2005

Police are disappointed at an increased number of motorists detected speeding on the first day of the Christmas/New Year road safety blitz.

Traffic Services Commander Chief Superintendent John Hartley said 2538 people had been booked for speeding on the first day of Operation Safe Arrival.

“This is 547 more than for the first day of the operation last year and is a disappointing figure when you consider speeding is one of the leading causes of fatal crashes,” Chief Superintendent Hartley said.

“Across the state police are remaining vigilant to try and ensure no family has to deal with an empty chair at the Christmas dinner table,” Chief Superintendent Hartley said.

“This close to Christmas, the last thing anyone wants is to visit their loved ones in hospital after they have been hurt in a crash.”

On the first day of Operation Safe Arrival, NSW Police conducted 25,469 breath tests and charged 74 people with drink driving.

Police have fined 82 people for not wearing their seatbelts. Forty seven people have been injured in 153 major crashes on NSW roads.

Some examples of inappropriate driver behaviour detected during day one of Operation Safe Arrival include:

• At 10:10pm yesterday (23 December), Lismore police responded to a complaint about the way a Holden Commodore station wagon was being driven after it had allegedly nearly collided with another vehicle while leaving a local service station. Police stopped the vehicle in a nearby car park. The driver, a 49-year-old Lismore man, was subjected to a roadside breath test which proved positive. A subsequent breath analysis returned a reading of 0.240. He was charged with having a high range PCA and other traffic offences. The 49-year-old man will appear in Lismore Local Court on 31 January.

• At 9.50pm yesterday (23 December), a 24-year-old man was detected travelling at 140kmh in a 90kmh zone on the F3 at Mooney Mooney. He was stopped and police conducted a roadside breath test, which proved positive. As a result he was subjected to a breath test which gave a positive result. He was arrested and taken to Gosford Police Station for a breath analysis. The breath analysis returned a reading of 0.205 He has been charged with drink driving and other traffic offences and will appear in Gosford Local Court on 7 February 2006.

• Officers attached to Goulburn Highway Patrol detected a 19 yr old Wollongong man, who is the holder of a P1 license, travelling at 148kmh on the Federal Highway at Collector about 4.25pm yesterday (23 December). The holders of a P1 license have a maximum speed of 90kmh. The 19-year-old Wollongong man was issued with an infringement notice for exceeding the speed limit by more than 45kmh. The infringement notice carries a $1550 fine and a loss of licence.

• A 35-year-old Marrickville woman was stopped at St Peters after a minor traffic breach. A roadside breath test proved positive and she was arrested. A breath analysis showed a reading of 0.195. The 35-year-old woman was charged with drink driving and her license suspended. She will appear at Waverley Court on the 25 January, 2006.