Republicans praised the deficit-cutting compromise for not raising taxes and for partially rolling back and reducing controversial increases for state park and camping fees and state licenses that kicked in on Oct. 1, 2009. For example, a state resident's fishing license will drop from $40 to $28 while a firearms permit drops from $28 to $19.

"I think it really is good that we work very well in a bipartisan fashion to reduce fees that will allow people to access the great outdoors," said Sen. John Kissel, R-Enfield.

To pay for the rollback, lawmakers voted to increase various motor vehicle fines, some of which haven't been raised since the 1980s.

"While these fee increases were intended to help close the state's budget deficit, I and many others believed that they were too steep and fall too heavily on low, moderate and fixed-income people who enjoy fishing and hunting," said Sen. Donald DeFronzo, D-New Britain.
The article doesn't specify what fines will be increased. I can't believe lawmakers use fines to balance an irresponsible budget and then give themselves a big pat on the back for a job well done.