Administrator

Default Law to ban speed camera detectors - London

By David Williams And Paul Waugh, Evening Standard
    30 November 2004
    This is London

Speed camera detectors are to be banned in a surprise move announced by ministers today.

The devices, which alert drivers when they approach speed traps, will become illegal within a year under tough measures in the new Road Safety Bill.

Safety campaigners hailed the announcement on camera detectorsas an important move against speeding drivers who rely on the devices to protect them from fines and penalty points on their licence.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Newcomer

Default Re: Law to ban speed camera detectors - London

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    By David Williams And Paul Waugh, Evening Standard
    30 November 2004 Speed camera detectors are to be banned in a surprise move announced by ministers today.
    However, if I understood that article correctly, GPS based systems are allowed - only radar detector based Speed camera detectors will be banned. So, radar dedectors comes again illegal in England? Well, I don't surprise if bobs order some Spectres to use...

Lead Foot

In the Netherlands we have a ban on radardetectors since first of january 2004. We are now fighting this law under the European Treaty to the right s of Men. In this treaty article 10 it says that everybody has the freedom of receiving and spreading information. A radardetector gives information. Also other European rules are being used to fight this ban. I was already emailing with D.E.T about this.

Experienced

Default the European Treaty to the right s of Men

In this law at it's second part is said also that all such things that can be dangerous or against national security can be prohibited by national laws.
    That's it I'll say :roll:

Lead Foot

As I said in my email, part 2 says that there has to be a "pressing social need" for this law.

Since giving information thru radiostations, websites etc is still allowed, there seems to be no "pressing social need". Our website gives accurate speedtrap information to about 4 radiostations and a number of websites. Also we provide a WAP page and a paid phonenumber that people can call.

Since all of that is (still) allowed and the secretairy of Transport has said that there is now way she can forbid the passing of that information based on exactly that same art 10.

Monday will be the ruling, but probably the losing party will go into appeal and then again appeal. This wont be over till a few years.

Administrator

Default Keep Us Posted

Keep us posted as things progress, I am very interested in this issue..
    Thanks
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Lead Foot

Today the verdict: Guilty as charged. They judge didn't even considered the items brought by the defence. Judge said: radar does not contain information, so art 10 is not in effect.

But an infrared sensor at a shops door, also doesn't transmit any information, but if I walk through it, it does ring a bell, so the shopowner knows there is someone in the store.

We suspect a shortsightness inflicted by higher parties in the Justice department. We already expected this. Dutch Justice is far from independent and objective.